Thread: Constant dropped connection, wireless

Constant dropped connection, wireless

Hey guys new here. I just installed a wireless router and my wireless connections are little to none. The router's suppose to connect at 54 mbps, but it's always going up and down, even though I'm sitting right next to the router. It drops to as low as 1.0 mbps. That's no connection at all.

The comupter that's wired to the modem gets good internet speeds at 3000 to 4000 kbps, but the wireless laptops get about 2000 kbps. I think my slow internet speed on my wireless laptop is due to the router always dropping connection from 54 to 11 to 1.0 mbps.

What can I do to fix this? I don't know why my laptop can not connect to the router at a constant speed and why the speed is always moving up and down even though I'm not even moving around the house. Does anybody know what I can do to keep a constant connection to my router?

Info:

Comcast HSI - Top speed 4000 kbps
    Modem - Motorola Surfboard
    Router - DLink DI-624

Wireless can be kinda funny sometimes, do you have a cordless phone near by that could interfere?

I've never been able to keep a steady 54mbps, but I usually dont go below 20 something, what wireless card do u have in the laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Wireless can be kinda funny sometimes, do you have a cordless phone near by that could interfere?

I've never been able to keep a steady 54mbps, but I usually dont go below 20 something, what wireless card do u have in the laptop?

The only cordless phone is in the kitchen. I usually take the laptop into the livingroom. The router is in my bedroom...no phone in there. My wireless card is Intel Proset/Wireless. I have Dell 700M. I just can't find the the "thing" that's making my connection go up and down so frequently and sometimes even dropping the connection all together.

I don't know anything about WiFi networks having never set one up, but I read this article it might be of interest to you about bluetooth signals knocking out WiFi. Check it out:
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/28/co...zer/index.html

Cheers,