Thread: How to format and re-install OS with notebook without CD-ROM drive and floppy disk??

How to format and re-install OS with notebook without CD-ROM drive and floppy disk??

Hello,

The CD-ROM drive of my note book is damaged a few months ago. I cannot purchase a suitable new CD-ROM to replace up to now. Moreover my note book do not have Floppy drive installed.

Now I need to format my hard disk and re-install the OS (Windows 2000) again..

1. Is it possible that I make a bootable USB flash memory to boot the computer? If yes, how?

2. If the answer of Question 1 is positive. How can I install the new os from the CD-ROM drive of other computers in my network.

Thanks and best regards
    Alex
    Nice to meet all of you.

how new is the laptop...easiest way would be to buy a IDE to USB converter would make your life easier

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...USB&category0=
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Quote Originally Posted by alex298
    Hello,

The CD-ROM drive of my note book is damaged a few months ago. I cannot purchase a suitable new CD-ROM to replace up to now. Moreover my note book do not have Floppy drive installed.

Now I need to format my hard disk and re-install the OS (Windows 2000) again..

1. Is it possible that I make a bootable USB flash memory to boot the computer? If yes, how?

2. If the answer of Question 1 is positive. How can I install the new os from the CD-ROM drive of other computers in my network.

Thanks and best regards
    You MIGHT be able to do an In-Place upgrade/repair by Turning on the sharing option of a Network CD-drive copying the \I386 directory to your C:\ drive and running setup from that while still in Windows.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Hello all,

Thanks for your assistance.
    how new is the laptop...
    This is more than three years now.

....easiest way would be to buy a IDE to USB converter would make your life easier
    Can the IDE to USB converter used on both Hard Disk and CD-ROM? I rather use on the Hard Disk because I have some old hard disks. I know how to make the slave disk to be the 1st boot drive.

1. But I have no idea how to make the slave hard disk a bootable hard disk.

2. Where can I find this tutorial or guide on the Internet.

Thanks and best regards
    Alex
    Nice to meet all of you.

yes it can be used on any IDE device which includes HD CD-ROMS and DVD drives
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.