Thread: How to set up static LAN ip's with a router...

Brent_212

Question How to set up static LAN ip's with a router...

I'm using a Linksys Router with a 5-port switch. I can't figure out how to setup the router so that the four computers on the network don't have to set their ip's for "Obtain automatically." I want to set the port forwarding up so I can put up an ftp server, but if my computer gets a new ip every time it's restarted (192.168.1.x), this won't work very well. I've tried setting the ip's of the computers to 192.168.1.101-104 and using the router's LAN ip (192.168.1.1) for their gateways, but it won't work. I can see all the computers on the network, but I can't connect to anything on the internet unless I set them to obtain ip automatically. I tried turning the DHCP off, but I get the same results.

I need to know what to do with the router's settings and what to do with the computers' settings. BTW, we have a cable modem with a dynamic ip. Do I have to do anything with the DNS info on the computer's TCP/IP settings? With a dynamic ip address, do these settings also change (the internet default gateway and the DNS search order/domain name, etc.)?

Thanks for any help,
    -Brent

glc1

Can't you forward ports over a range w/the Linksys router? I thought I saw someone mention that on this forum. Check the manual and see if it has anything pertaining to forwarding ports over a selected range.

wakobob

The first computers IP should only be 1 more then the gatway, if im not mistaken.

Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    1st PC: 10.0.0.2
    and so on

Hope this helps.

hey Brent...you have to add your DNS numbers on each computer just like you did to the router ..etc DNS,Domain and of course you router as the gateway. good luck