Thread: BF2 - Trying to Keep Total Ram Usage under 1GB...

Talking BF2 - Trying to Keep Total Ram Usage under 1GB...

what i am trying to do is see what the max settings you can have but still have total ram usage be under 1GB when your machine idles at ~240MB. i hope this saves some people some time.

i have created this because i do not want to buy more pc3200 ram as it is on its way out, with the AMD m2 and also with current Intel chipsets using DDR2.

enjoy

BF2 Ram Usage

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4432
    idles at ~240MB. i hope this saves some people some time.
    You should be able to cut that almost in half. Even leaving my antivirus enabled (NOD32), I idle at 135-140 megs with XPp. Running close to, or <gasp> over 200 megs at idle...I'd be ripping my hair out.

I haven't seen BF2 exceed 900 megs itself on my rig, 3.4GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 10krpm raptor, 9800p 256 megger. Play BF at 1280x1024 at high settings across the board.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    You should be able to cut that almost in half. Even leaving my antivirus enabled (NOD32), I idle at 135-140 megs with XPp. Running close to, or <gasp> over 200 megs at idle...I'd be ripping my hair out.

I haven't seen BF2 exceed 900 megs itself on my rig, 3.4GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 10krpm raptor, 9800p 256 megger. Play BF at 1280x1024 at high settings across the board.
    imo, 140MB is pretty lean.

the reason i did it the way i did is because that is how i play the game. i don't shut off av, firewall or anything and use the mini image with daemon tools and anti-blaxx running so i don't have to put the cd in the optical drive every game. as far as av i run antivir. i use this machine all the time so it has a full copy of the adobe cs suite and also office 2k3 pro, so there are some additional programs started when the machine boots up with them too. all in all i normally have ~36 processes running when idle.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

this is where you limit all that startup crap....and my memory footprint at startup is <140MB's. Even with Ventrilo on, and NOD32 enabled, and xfire and mirc open, I sit at <190MB's even before I startup BF2.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

i dont care if DDR is on the way out. i just built this PC in july and this xmas im going to buy another 2 sticks of pc3200 512mb from corsair. ill have 2 gigs and be set for another year or so with the rest of my specs.
    <3 Kyle

i greatly appreciate the responses .

the reason i have done this is just to see what settings take the most memory, trying to get the most out of my machine before cresting the 1GB mark. it wasn't until bf2 the i even hit over 1GB and that was even when doing ps:cs, premiere pro, illustrator:cs work on very large files having all the programs open at the same time.

i figured i would just put the info up for others to benefit from.

and the reason i don't just buy another 1GB is because i am cheap, especially when my current rig is 1.5yrs old with the exception of the video card and i know that my next rig will be using DDR2. then my current rig with the exception of the video card will go to my wife (and she is getting along fine with a 1GHz Athlon w/ 384MB of ram) who definately doesn't need 2GB of ram.

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Thanks for posting what you have. I may look into it later. As far as the ram being on its way out, you can kinda say that with anything int he comptuer/tech world. Personally i think right now is the best time to buy the ram. ITS CHEAP!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

You can always end the office and adobe processe, 36 processes running at startup is like heart failure to me!

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    You can always end the office and adobe processe, 36 processes running at startup is like heart failure to me!
    but it would not get me the extra ~150-200MB needed to turn up the texures to high. i have looked through the task manager and see i could probably cut back ~30-50MB for processes that are started but that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4432
    but it would not get me the extra ~150-200MB needed to turn up the texures to high. i have looked through the task manager and see i could probably cut back ~30-50MB for processes that are started but that is about it.

Did you turn off visualizations

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Did you turn off visualizations
    yes, all that stuff is off

Just buy another 512 and be done with it........
    AMD X2 4800+ AC freezer pro 64 cooler, ASUS A8N prem. 2G OCZ platinum PC3200, eVGA 8800GTS 640MB, 37G SATA Raptor, OCZ 700W PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGoFOOLS
    Just buy another 512 and be done with it........

ya LOL