Thread: Your Internet Is In Danger!!!

Your Internet Is In Danger!!!

Breaking America's grip on the net
    After troubled negotiations in Geneva, the US may be forced to relinquish control of the internet to a coalition of governments

Kieren McCarthy
    Thursday October 6, 2005

Guardian

You would expect an announcement that would forever change the face of the internet to be a grand affair - a big stage, spotlights, media scrums and a charismatic frontman working the crowd.
    But unless you knew where he was sitting, all you got was David Hendon's slightly apprehensive voice through a beige plastic earbox. The words were calm, measured and unexciting, but their implications will be felt for generations to come.

Hendon is the Department for Trade and Industry's director of business relations and was in Geneva representing the UK government and European Union at the third and final preparatory meeting for next month's World Summit on the Information Society. He had just announced a political coup over the running of the internet.

Old allies in world politics, representatives from the UK and US sat just feet away from each other, but all looked straight ahead as Hendon explained the EU had decided to end the US government's unilateral control of the internet and put in place a new body that would now run this revolutionary communications medium.

The issue of who should control the net had proved an extremely divisive issue, and for 11 days the world's governments traded blows. For the vast majority of people who use the internet, the only real concern is getting on it. But with the internet now essential to countries' basic infrastructure - Brazil relies on it for 90% of its tax collection - the question of who has control has become critical.

And the unwelcome answer for many is that it is the US government. In the early days, an enlightened Department of Commerce (DoC) pushed and funded expansion of the internet. And when it became global, it created a private company, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann) to run it.

But the DoC retained overall control, and in June stated what many had always feared: that it would retain indefinite control of the internet's foundation - its "root servers", which act as the basic directory for the whole internet.

A number of countries represented in Geneva, including Brazil, China, Cuba, Iran and several African states, insisted the US give up control, but it refused. The meeting "was going nowhere", Hendon says, and so the EU took a bold step and proposed two stark changes: a new forum that would decide public policy, and a "cooperation model" comprising governments that would be in overall charge.

Much to the distress of the US, the idea proved popular. Its representative hit back, stating that it "can't in any way allow any changes" that went against the "historic role" of the US in controlling the top level of the internet.

But the refusal to budge only strengthened opposition, and now the world's governments are expected to agree a deal to award themselves ultimate control. It will be officially raised at a UN summit of world leaders next month and, faced with international consensus, there is little the US government can do but acquiesce.

But will this move mean, as the US ambassador David Gross argued, that "even on technical details, the industry will have to follow government-set policies, UN-set policies"?

No, according to Nitin Desai, the UN's special adviser on internet governance. "There is clearly an acceptance here that governments are not concerned with the technical and operational management of the internet. Standards are set by the users."

Hendon is also adamant: "The really important point is that the EU doesn't want to see this change as bringing new government control over the internet. Governments will only be involved where they need to be and only on issues setting the top-level framework."

Human rights

But expert and author of Ruling the Root, Milton Mueller, is not so sure. An overseeing council "could interfere with standards. What would stop it saying 'when you're making this standard for data transfer you have to include some kind of surveillance for law enforcement'?"

Then there is human rights. China has attracted criticism for filtering content from the net within its borders. Tunisia - host of the World Summit - has also come under attack for silencing online voices. Mueller doesn't see a governmental overseeing council having any impact: "What human rights groups want is for someone to be able to bring some kind of enforceable claim to stop them violating people's rights. But how's that going to happen? I can't see that a council is going to be able to improve the human rights situation."

And what about business? Will a governmental body running the internet add unnecessary bureaucracy or will it bring clarity and a coherent system? Mueller is unsure: "The idea of the council is so vague. It's not clear to me that governments know what to do about anything at this stage apart from get in the way of things that other people do."

There are still dozens of unanswered questions but all the answers are pointing the same way: international governments deciding the internet's future. The internet will never be the same again.

Guardian Unlimited ; Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005

I think if changes cant be summed up in one sentence then we shouldnt do it.

Why would that be a danger? With the way things have been going as far as peoples creeds being involved in other aspects of our lives, it may be a good thing if its being controlled by open minded people that won't stifle, monitor or control the net. Maybe other countries see this? Icann is not exactly the best thing to hit the net. Its a bunch of crap that you have to pay them to get your domain name if there is more then 1 person applying for it even when you are first.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

A good review on this:

Where can this go? Let's consider for just a moment that document that Bill Clinton called the greatest document ever written by man in support of human rights and freedom. That would the the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This document is supposed to be the great international blueprint for human rights around the world. The document says that it represents "a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations." Does the UN Declaration of Human Rights protect free speech? Freedom of the press? Well ... in a word, yes it does. Article 19 says that everyone has a right to freedom of opinion and expression. So far so good. The declaration also says that everyone has a right to rest and leisure and a right to a standard of living. Interesting. It also says that all mothers and children are entitled to "special care and assistance."

Problematic, to say the least. But, let's cut to the chase. Let's go to Article 29 Paragraph 3. "These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations."

Do you need to read that again? Please do. It's critical. This one clause negates every single right recognized in this so-called "Universal Declaration of Human Rights." You have no freedom of speech. You have no freedom of expression. You have no right to own property. You have no right to your precious standard of living ... you have nothing ... not one thing if your exercise of those rights interfere with the goals of the United Nations.

Now ... back to the Internet. When the United Nations gains control just how far will it go? Will it start censoring the Internet to make sure that nobody posts any information or opinions that might interfere with the "purposes and principles of the United Nations?There is talk, for instance, of a world-wide income tax on the wealthy to fund UN operations. Would anyone be allowed to post an opinion in opposition to this scheme?

Are you worried? You should be. But then maybe you're more concerned about this evening's top story on Entertainment Tonight.

well since its still in discussions we don't know for sure how it will sway. If a country feels the need (ie: China,Algeria,Saudi Arabia,Iran,UAE) to block certain portions of the internet from gaining access to their borders,then I am all for that. The citizens of those countries can leave or sneak out or whatever if they are unhappy with it. There must be a reason for their wanting to wrangle control away for the US. Perhaps they don't want to be spied on , which is basically what the US has been doing, plus the fact with the RIAA and MPIAA have been doing as well, to control the use of File Sharing and even now controlling and poisoning Torrents. I can't blame them with trying to do this. Corporate America and our military is encroaching on everyone else's rights not just ours when it comes to the internet. If you think that America and Britain don't take down and silence sites that they deem as not being good for the US or UK you have got to be kidding. I don't watch Entertainment Tonight .
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Good grief JC.....All this just for a few quick sentences for Clinton bashing? LOL

I'd be all for this. The less commercial the internet root server holders are, the better we'll all be. For example, VeriSign's SiteFinder fiasco. And I sure as hell am not too impressed with ICANN right now. Not after they gave VeriSign BACK control of the .com and .net TLDs.

Let a neutral party take ICANN's role, and let non-commerical orginazations control the root servers. Then we'll all be ok.

you stupid people dont you see whats happening bush is in on it hes monitoring all of our comunicationts like cell phones all types of phones payphones monitored by cia they are spying on us so they can see what we are saying about bush himself or the government and this world here we are in is heading for an end very soon i would say this earth will blow up in 3 years from now if we dont do anything about it

lol... wow
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy2k7 View Post
    you stupid people dont you see whats happening bush is in on it hes monitoring all of our comunicationts like cell phones all types of phones payphones monitored by cia they are spying on us so they can see what we are saying about bush himself or the government and this world here we are in is heading for an end very soon i would say this earth will blow up in 3 years from now if we dont do anything about it
    0/10

Blog Entries
    The US government may be too biased to control the root servers IMHO. We shouldn't be able to just unplug a country of choice at will. It may be better if those are divided among nations - there is nothing wrong with redundancy either.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    The US government may be too biased to control the root servers IMHO. We shouldn't be able to just unplug a country of choice at will. It may be better if those are divided among nations - there is nothing wrong with redundancy either.
    I think we should unplug Nigeria
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Yielding yet another jewel without compensation.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B View Post
    I think we should unplug Nigeria

NO! I am awaiting delivery of my car. It's a little late, but it'll be here. I wired the cash last week.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! AHHHHH! AHHHH! *gasp gasp gasp*

Punctuation, spelling and overall coherence are lacking.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

likeomgifyouregonnathrowparagraghsandallpuncuationoutthewindowswhyusespaceseither

I would like to see the internet in the hands of a non-biased non-profit organization. But people want power and money more than they want the free exchange of information and ideas. It is up to us the people to keep the internet free, alive with ideas and diversity regardless of who thinks they control it; the real control just like a goverment is the hands of the people who make it up.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking