Thread: Hard Disk errors

Hard Disk errors

So I think I have a bad sector on the HDD on my laptop, and it jsut so happens to be right under the c:\windows\system32\config\default data, rendering my system unusable. Trying to backup, delete and re-write the key has been unsuccessful. Trying to do a windows repair isntallation was unsuccessful, trying to reinstall XP over the old OS was unsuccessful.

I think I need a utility that scans the disk at the sector level and then notes the bad secotrs in the MBR. I thought maxtor had a free utility like that on their web-site but cannot find it (I am at work trying to get work done, but this IS my work laptop!! )

Any suggestions would be oh-so-apprecieated right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

At first guess I would try PEbuilder and see if the windows scandisk on that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    Any suggestions would be oh-so-apprecieated right now!
    Sounds like a problem I'm having with the primary disk on my desktop. I know its days are numbered before it buys the farm.

1 - Run Scan Disk/Defrag to determine if that fixes anything.

2 - Check the website of the HDD manuf. for any proprietary diagnostic tools it may have available.

Having run those 2 items, now would probably be a really good time to start Ghosting the HDD image(s) elsewhere for safekeeping.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you have data on the hard drive which you really NEED to get at.....

Couple of ways you might still be able to get it back.....if the old "CHKDSK /R" from the recovery console don't do it for ya.

Do a "mirror install" of XP...which might work for you, select a different $system% directory..like instead of C:\Windows, install it to C:\Winbak or C:\WindowsTwo...something like that. Might work around those bad spots on your hard drive, as re-installing will simply try to write data to the same bad spots.

Or....(and if you work with laptops in your business, this tool is a MUST HAVE)

Apricorns EZ Gig Transfer...a PCMCIA utility and software which lets you "clone", or "ghost" laptop hard drives. I just used it again this morning to upgrade my IBM Thinkpad drive to a new 8 meg cache drive. But in your case, you could plug your failing hard drive into this PCMCIA adapter, then plug the EZ gig adapter into any other laptop running 2K or XP..sort of like a slaved drive...and browse your drive and peel the data off of it that you need.

http://www.apricorn.com/product_details.php?ID=228
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Spinrite is the best program ive seen for driver maintenance and recovery. Unfortunetly it will cost you 90 bucks but if you really need to get data and check a drive it is the best. O and if you have a maxtor drive get rid of it and get western digital there much better and will not fail as easy as the maxtor ones.

SG Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus1027
    Spinrite is the best program ive seen for driver maintenance and recovery. Unfortunetly it will cost you 90 bucks but if you really need to get data and check a drive it is the best. O and if you have a maxtor drive get rid of it and get western digital there much better and will not fail as easy as the maxtor ones.
    I was just going to mention spinrite.

well I did a chkdisk /R

Took it about 8 hours, file system was screwed on the drive, but I was able to get a windows installation to boot and retrieve all of my important data. Did a thourough format of the drive, took all night, but it seems to be up and running again. Gonna call Dell and get the drive replaced, fortunately we have a few spare laptops around the office so I jsut grabbed another one and put my data on it.

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

SG Elite
    At least you got the important stuff off of it.