Thread: Web access or router access not both???

Web access or router access not both???

I had an interesting situation come up that I have not been able to solve.
    I set up a small network behind a D-link 4100 router. This router connects to a switch on a larger network using the WAN port. I forgot the model. (If i connect the switch to one of the routers lan ports instead of the WAN it seems to act like a switch is this correct?) There are times I want to be on a seperate network so I dont want to just put in a switch.

Here is the problem I am having. If IE6 is set up to automatically detect settings under the connections->Lan tab I can get out to the web fine. If it is not checked I cant get to the web. But here is the strange part I dont understand. If i can get to the web i cant get to the router admin if i can get to the router admin (by not checking automatically detect settings) i cant get to the web. I can ping the router but not access the admin page if I have web access. Another interesting fact is that if i can access the router i cant ping outside my network if i try to ping an outside node it does the dns lookup but the ping times out. (ping www.google.com give the ip address but times out). I can ping the DNS servers and the gateway fine. The firewall is turned off and no ports are blocked (for testing only)

The firmware on the router is updated and the OS on the laptop is XP pro SP2
    The XP firewall was also turned off. I also tried a straight and cross over cable between the router and switch I got the same results with both.
    To sum it up if auto detect setting is checked i can access the web but not the router admin page. The DHCP server on the router still works and im on my own private 192 address. And i can ping the router. If the detect settings is unchecked i can access the router admin but not the web.

I hope this makes sence this has me really fustrated. Thanks for any help or suggestions you have.

Advanced Member
    Let me see if I got this right. You are connecting the routers WAN port to a LAN port on a switch. I am guessing this means that your internet connection is connected somewhere on the switch, or the switch is configured so that it can connect to the internet.

What type of internet connection are you using?

My first guess would be that you are having problems due to the fact that you are likely behind two routers. The one you are trying to configure, and another one connected somewhere else in the network. Do you have control over the entire network, or are you limited to just this one router?

Yes sorry I should have been a bit more specific. Its been a LONG day. The routers wan is connected a port on the switch. The switch is somehow connected to the internet im not sure how and I dont have access to that part of the network. I dont understand how a second router would change things though. could you please explain? Shouldnt it just take an IP address like any other device and what ever happens on the other side is transparent to the rest of the network? The router provides its own NAT and DHCP for the internal network. A smaller network is connected to a larger network by a gateway isnt that what the router is doing in my case?

Thanks again

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Find out how the switch is connected to the internet....is there a second router? If so, are both routers set to the same IP range? That's not good, if you have one router inside another router, you're double NAT'ing. Sure "most" things like internet will work OK most of the time, but every now and then you'll get glitches, and some software simply won't like double NAT'ing like that.

If you must have two routers (one inside the other)...make sure they are each on separate IP ranges. Meaning....say the main router that the switch is on...has its LAN scope set to something like 192.168.0.XXX or 10.1.1.XXX...and the second router (your router) set to something different, like 192.168.1.XXX.

If you wish to keep your network separate...best thing to do is get a managed switch for all of them...and create VLANs.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    You should be setting the router to accept a DHCP assigned IP address, which it will get from somewhere on the larger network. If that address happens to be in the same range as the router works in, then you have a problem. I am not familiar with that particular router, but if you are luck you will be able to change the address range it is working in. That way you can avoid any conflicts.

Another thought is that the connection passes through a proxy server somewhere along its path to the internet. Thus if you disabled the feature in IE that has it detect those settings, you wouldn't be able to get on the internet, but would still be connected to the network on a very basic level.

Thanks for all the help. I am on seperate network ip ranges for the switch and router and I am getting a DHCP address for my router from the larger network. The Double NAT thing is a pain but for some political reasons I need to be on my own network sometimes while still having the option to connect to the other network as a whole. The virtual lan is a good suggestion Ive read about them but never implimented it. I alreay have the hardware though so well have to see how things go. Ill mess around with it some more and see what I can figure out. Thanks again for all the help. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing some little setting that could fix it.
    Last edited by berrybry; 10-03-05 at 12:12 PM.