Thread: Networking an EPSON LASER (USB port)

Networking an EPSON LASER (USB port)

Yesterday I bought an EPSON EPL-6200 laser printer for using it at home, and connected it to an USb port in my pc (WIN XP PRO). After sharing the device went to other pc and tried to install that printer. After finding the printer I selected it an then, instead of telling me to browse for drivers the O.S. (WIN XP PRO) installed some drivers of its own.
    The trouble is that, eve if the pc tells me that the printer is installed, whenever I try to print I get an error message having to do with drivers...
    I have tried to install that printer as a local one and then change the port to the one used in the other pc but I can not find a remote uSB port...
    Does anyboby has any suggestion?
    Thanks

First, on the PC you have it connected to (for this example, we'll assume the PC's name is "officepc"), you need to share it. Pick an easy name like EPL6200.

Next, take the install CD and install the printer via the software on the 2nd PC. If you are prompted for where it's connected, choose whatever- doesn't matter- LPT1 is most generic, if the printer has a parallel port. Once the install is finished, go into printer properties, and choose "ports". Change this port to "local port", and in the name field (assuming the fake PC name I used) type "\\officepc\epl6200" (no quote marks). This should now allow you to connect to the printer.
    Last edited by twwabw; 09-29-05 at 03:31 AM.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Hi, twwabw:

I've tried your solution but to no avail.
    You suggest installing the printer as if it were hooked into the pc, then changing the port to a local one.
    The trouble is that I can not switch the port as you suggest. Yes I can switch ports, even to a local port (USB) but I can not find a place to address the printer to the remote pc.
    Surely I am doing something worng.
    What I tried and worked (in a sense) was to switch the printer to LPT2 and then use the "NET USE LPT2: \jxxxx" command. In this way I keep getting the error message, but, at least, I can print.

Thanks

You won't be able to "find a place to address the printer to the remote pc". You have to do it the way I stated. Installed the printer locally to the 2nd machine, choosing "create a new port" instead of an installed port, and under type choose "local port". Then enter the remote PC's unc name and printer share name, just like I laid it out before.

It will work.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

I can see my mistake. I didn't use the create a new port option...
    I'll try it and then I'll post the result.
    Thanks again