Thread: Complete Newb, HDD question..

Complete Newb, HDD question..

Alright, I have an older computer from maybe 4-5 years ago, it's a P4(so maybe not 4-5 years, got it when P4's were first introduced). Now, I want to salvage the HDD and put it in my main box, but I have no idea if it will even work.. so if anyone can answer this question, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brett
    Selling signature space for $$$.

Contact Brett for details.

Yes it will work, you just have to make sure the jumper is set to whatever you decide to put it on (master or slave). If your referring to taking the drive and booting up with it, chances are iffy that it will succeed but it can (especially if its pre-XP).

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    Yes it will work, you just have to make sure the jumper is set to whatever you decide to put it on (master or slave). If your referring to taking the drive and booting up with it, chances are iffy that it will succeed but it can (especially if its pre-XP).
    Ok, thanks.

I have two other questions:

Would I be able to take it out, then format it from my main box? I don't have any cords/cables for the old PC and so have no way to format it, and I don't want to have to buy new cords just to format a HDD.

The next; do you know of any guides that will help me install it? I've never built a PC or salvaged a HDD from another one, and I'm a bit scared to do it from the possibility of frying my whole computer due to static discharge.

Thanks again,

Brett

Yes you can format it no prob with your system now, just plug it in as a slave drive and right click on it in my computer, goto format, its no problem. Im not sure about guides as ive been doin it myself for 12+ years Ill try to look around for you though.

Yes you can format it no prob with your system now, just plug it in as a slave drive and right click on it in my computer, goto format, its no problem. Im not sure about guides as ive been doin it myself for 12+ years Ill try to look around for you though.
    Wow, thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Regards,

Brett

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Are you replacing the drive in your main box with this other drive...or do you intend to add it to your main box as a second hard drive?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Are you replacing the drive in your main box with this other drive...or do you intend to add it to your main box as a second hard drive?
    Adding it as a second HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettRS
    Its very easy, you should have no problem if you follow the link I sent.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettRS
    Easy..format through My Computer, or for more advanced control of things, right click "My Computer"...select "Manage". Here's the main area where you do most of your tasks with the OS in Win2K/XP.

Expand MMC and you'll see "Disk Management"...can do lots of things here...such as change partition type (which I'd recommend because right now this drive is set as "active"...and simply formatting it won't kill that)....also blow away partitions, create new ones, manage drive letters, and format.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I live in the sticks behind the bike Shop!!
    ok man ive got somewhat the same issue with this question,,How would i switch the jumper from master to slave?,right now if i plug it in with a plug comming through the current hard drive,,it says "missing system" then if i plug it in through a plug comming through the CD-Rom it says "Sec Master ATAPI Incompatible",,..all i want to do is use it for extra storage but it wont even show up on the computer,,how would i make it a slave,and when i do that which plug would i hook it to?..sorry about the long strand..

Owner: Bullseye Promotions Marketing - bpmarketing.info
    Author: Easy Flow Traffic System E-books
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

To error is human but piss off the wife and all that means nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Starmax
    ok man ive got somewhat the same issue with this question,,How would i switch the jumper from master to slave?,right now if i plug it in with a plug comming through the current hard drive,,it says "missing system" then if i plug it in through a plug comming through the CD-Rom it says "Sec Master ATAPI Incompatible",,..all i want to do is use it for extra storage but it wont even show up on the computer,,how would i make it a slave,and when i do that which plug would i hook it to?..sorry about the long strand..
    Most drives tell you the jumper configuration on the top sticker. What kinda of drive is it? Im not saying all drives are this way, but alot of them have 3 sets of 2-pins to place a jumper on. Master is the first 2(up and down, not side to side) and the second is slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Starmax

Most computers come with a single hard drive...and usually that drive is set to "cable select". If you simply add a second hard drive set as "slave" to the same ribbon cable...it will not work. You have to change the original hard drive from "cable select" to "Master".

Technically leaving the original hard drive to "cable select" and adding your second hard drive to the same ribbon cable...having that drive set as "cable select"...will work as long as you have a cable select ribbon cable...but in the real world that doesn't always work. Master/Slave is the manual way of doing that, and always work. Cable select came out supposedly to be an easy, zero configuration way of doing things.

Same rule of thumb for the second IDE controller with cd-roms, or internal zip drives, etc.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Most drives tell you the jumper configuration on the top sticker. What kinda of drive is it? Im not saying all drives are this way, but alot of them have 3 sets of 2-pins to place a jumper on. Master is the first 2(up and down, not side to side) and the second is slave.
    its an older Quantum/Bigfoot/TS,,Default jumper settings says Master default/slave/cable select. where the master default is the 2 middle pins,,thats where the jumper is,,how do i switch it to whatever i need,,i just wanna make it a second hard drive,,the way its setup now,,if i put it in the same ribbon as the current hard drive,it says "Missing system" i was aware of this already,Id like to just use it for storage in the as a second hard drive,currently there's a plug labeled "P7" to my A: floppy/ a plug labeled "P6" to my current C: hard drive,,and that leave's a plug Labeled "P5" and "P4" in that strand...i know this may a bit confusing,,sorry guys but you guys are the **** when it comes to this,,i wouldnt ask anywhere else...

Click image to enlarge

Quantum Bigfoot drive...those mega 5" bad boys...I'd not plan on using that, tehy had the highest failure rates....wow....

FYI, different brands/models of hard drives had different jumper arrangements....most almost always have a little sticker on them with a diagram.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Quantum Bigfoot drive...those mega 5" bad boys...I'd not plan on using that, tehy had the highest failure rates....wow....

FYI, different brands/models of hard drives had different jumper arrangements....most almost always have a little sticker on them with a diagram.
    thx man,,lol i figured it out,,its working ok but if i see any sign of trouble its comming out,,oh and another question,,my ROM drive says on the front=compact disk on the left and DVD on the right,,i was sure it was a combo,,but each time i pop a DVD in it,it tells me that its not a DVD-Rom,,that its only a standard CD-Rom,,oh well,,nothing ventured nothing gained,,thx guys..

Click image to enlarge