Thread: Connection problem with Wireless

Connection problem with Wireless

MODS: Please move to appropriate forum if you need to. I just posted in here because I think more people will see it here.

Hey everyone,
    I need your help in figuring out my problem. I'm running windows XP and using Netgear WG111 for wireless. I use SBC internet and their 2Wire HomePortal 1000 which has an integrated wireless access point. My problem is that my connection will sometimes stop working after 10-20 mins. I don't know what it is. I am still connected but I just can't receive anything. Disabling and Re-enabling the wireless connection fixes it for another 10-20 mins. And it just repeats. I tried using a direct connection with wires and it still does it to only my computer. All of the other computers in my house have a constant internet connection.

At first I was having problems accessing some websites and so I thought it was the MTU size and I lowered that and it fixed my problems but I was still getting connection drops every 10-20 mins. I then put it back to 1492 and lowered the power of my broadcast signal and that fixed the problem of not being able to access some sites. (I read that overboosting a signal isn't always good) Now I can't figure out why my connection just decides to stop working. If i wait long enough without reseting the connection it will continue to work again.

Please help me figure out my problem. I don't know if it's something with my computer or my hardware. I set up all of the other computers and they're running fine. I just brought my computer home from college and now it's not having a constant internet connection anymore so i don't know what's up.

Oh and when i click repair on my connection it says it can't clear the ARP cache.

My other computer was also using the same wireless setup before I moved back and it did not have any problems until about a week ago and it's doing the same thing as my computer now.

Thanks in Advance

I'm having the same problem

Ya, my laptop is doing the same thing. After about 10mins of surfing the connection pretty much stops. If I click repair, it will repair itself and it will be back at 54mbps. I have to continously keep repairing the damn thing. I can't figure it out. Just a minute ago it was at 1.0mbps and now it went to 2.0mbps. Its really starting to piss me off. When it is running at 54mbps it is really fast but that usually doesnt last long. If anybody could help I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Fixed the wireless network connection problem

I started to look around on microsoft.com under self support and searched for wirless network and found a page that suggested to update wirless adapter drivers. Since my laptop has a Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card I went to Intel's website and found an update for my OEM installed driver and downloaded it and installed it. It appears to be working because my speed hasn't dropped off yet. Hopefully this helps.

I've tried a lot of things. All of my drivers are up to date. I've even uninstalled everything and started with all of the default settings without WEP and worked from there but it still drops. I turned off the Wireless Zero Configuration thing too and I'm still having the same problem. I don't know if my problem is really a connection drop or what. My card still sees the wireless signal but i won't be able to use the internet at all unless I turn it off and turn it back on. I dont know what's up I'm still doing research on it

this is a little late but have you searched for spyware, adware, virus, trojan? any of those can cuase connection problems.

i have the exact same prob with my 2wire, along with one of my friends.
    it starts out as very good connection then just kinda stops transmiting/accepting packets.

i think it is the 2wire portal becuse in it's log it shows wireless errors. to this day i have no solution and i have been putting up with it for a year.

if anyone reads this thread anymore let me know if you have a solution.

I had a similar problem - in the end I got a new router and this fixed it.

Of course, now I have new problems. But anyway, get in touch with your supplier/manufactuer and see if they can help.