Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $13/hr programming job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    How's this for **** luck:

I came to Washington and got a $9/hr job at a place called TeleTech. I answered phones for Nextel, but got fired after I "didn't log out from the phones" (bs) for three days in a row. Anyway -- I searched for a job, and then my landlord (of all people) reccomended me for a placed called Applied Technical Systems. So I filled out the application for an intern position, and got an interview today at 1:30. An hour and a half later (after talking to the Lead QA guy, the lead HR guy, and another programmer type) I had an offer for a full-time salary position (at $13/hr equivilant, or $27,040/yr) as a full programmer who will become the Lead GIS programmer when they start interfacing with ArcView GIS later on this year.

Who's the man? I'm the man. Yeah. Uh huh.
    congrats dude,,,,

some good news!

Way to go Paft. Congrats

You'll go far I'm sure, because you like it.

Woot

I moved out to Washington in mid-June (June 14th to be exact) from Maine, yes.
    Does that mean I'm the only Mainer on SG (I mean witness protection program). Congrats BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    Does that mean I'm the only Mainer on SG (I mean witness protection program). Congrats BTW.
    As of right now, it looks like it.

Thank you all for the kind words and /good/ advice.. I plan to follow it and get my degree. I've talked to my supervisor, and we've been discussing telecommuting options for when I enroll in college.

SG Enthusiast
    As of right now, it looks like it.

Thank you all for the kind words and /good/ advice.. I plan to follow it and get my degree. I've talked to my supervisor, and we've been discussing telecommuting options for when I enroll in college.
    Congrats!

I was working part time and schooling full-time. The job (startup in mid nineties) offered me full time at a crazy salary ($65K) and payed for school. Workload got so heavy that I had to pull from school. I got so much exposure, wearing so many hats (I was the IT department and product implementation and Support), that I never had to go back to school to finish (my major was physics anyway, not ComputerSci). I'm a Director now and to go much farther I will probably need an MBA. So I guess you can pay your dues now or later, depending on the opportunities that present themselves along the way.

At my current company we entry level at $60K (C++/Java) - though paying rent around $2000/month for a decent 1BR in SF makes that about even, probably.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)