Thread: Quick Question, Need Router Help

Quick Question, Need Router Help

I just bought a GIGAFAST 410-R Router, from newegg.com. I currently have a Linksys router, but It seems to be crapping out on me, I loose my internet connection quite frequently with it.

I connected my Gigafast router, but its asking me for a Host name and dnS ip for my setup. I called my COX which is my internet service provider, they told me they cant give out that information and they dont support router help etc...

What should I put in the host name box and the DNS ip field? I tried leaving them blank, but my internet still wouldnt work. Please Help

Plug n Play my butt!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833129225

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Quote Originally Posted by tHE_0ne
    I just bought a GIGAFAST 410-R Router, from newegg.com. I currently have a Linksys router, but It seems to be crapping out on me, I loose my internet connection quite frequently with it.

I connected my Gigafast router, but its asking me for a Host name and dnS ip for my setup. I called my COX which is my internet service provider, they told me they cant give out that information and they dont support router help etc...

What should I put in the host name box and the DNS ip field? I tried leaving them blank, but my internet still wouldnt work. Please Help

Plug n Play my butt!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833129225
    It should be set up for Dynamic not for static. Also make sure that You shut your Cable modem, computer and router off, wait 2 mins, then turn the cable modem on wait till the cable light is fully lit , then turn on the router, then turn on the computer.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by thepieman
    It should be set up for Dynamic not for static. Also make sure that You shut your Cable modem, computer and router off, wait 2 mins, then turn the cable modem on wait till the cable light is fully lit , then turn on the router, then turn on the computer.

Pie

Offensive

Pie
    Under Dynamic Settings, its still asking for this information

ill try that boot sequence tho, thanks

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

router isnt giving me a WAN address and a default gateway...

My~Rig

router isnt giving me a WAN address and a default gateway...
    Your cable light is on steady right? If you hook your Cable modem directly to your computer it works?

Pie
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Your cable light is on steady right? If you hook your Cable modem directly to your computer it works?

Pie
    yes, it also works for my linksys router sometimes (right now im on my linksys router)

My~Rig

You've tried cloning the Mac of your modem into the router?
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy
    You've tried cloning the Mac of your modem into the router?
    yes. In the router config, there is a button for that, I have tired that and I I have typed in both LAN/WAN mac's (from my linsys router settings)

My~Rig

yes, it also works for my linksys router sometimes (right now im on my linksys router)

Hmmm thats odd.
    You shouldn't need to enter a DNS it should be picking it up by itself, and as far as the Host, its not needed as well.
    You will need to do the shut down/power up process again and then try
    resetting the Router to default with the little button on the back of the router (Im assuming you have one) , and then see if that makes a difference.
    Make sure you are in fact plugging your ethernet cable into the WAN port of the router too (Just to be sure)
    While you are on your linksys you should go to the Manufacturers website and see if there is a new Flashrom update for that router, perhaps there is a problem with that revision of the Bios for it. If not, then dont rack your brains tonight, wait till tomorrow and call their tech support. It never works to work on something when you are frustrated late at night.

Pie