Thread: My downstream power level is 16 dbmv!!!!!!!

Red face My downstream power level is 16 dbmv!!!!!!!

Downstream power level is 16 dbmv !!!!!!!
    I can't believe it . Only so long till the modem burns itself out . Somebody console me Or just ogle.
    Downstream Status
    Downstream Lock: Locked
    Downstream Frequency: 723.0000 MHz
    Downstream Modulation: 64 QAM
    Downstream Interleave Depth: 32,4,32
    Downstream Receive Power Level: 16 dB

Upstream Status
    Upstream Channel ID: 1
    Upstream Frequency: 19.9840 MHz
    Upstream Modulation: QPSK
    Upstream Symbol Rate: 1280 ksym/sec
    Upstream Transmit Power Level: 45 dB

General Status
    HELP!!!! At home is standing by while my stuff grenades
    Mcse , A+ and nowhere to go

Looks like you have a line/signal problem. (like you didn't know that).

The only way to rectify it is to have a tech come out to your house to fix it. The problem is convincing them to send someone out to the house if your connection is working. Most 1st level techs won't even know what you are talking about. Tell them your service is intermittent and when the tech gets out there, show them the modem interface results like you posted. Most modems won't work if the downstream is > +5.

How many splitters do you have on the line and are they high quality? Did the signal jump recently or has it always been high? How long is your cable length and what type is it? I had some signal level issues until I replaced my cable with some good quality RG-6 Quad shielded cable (got rid of the RG-59). I also moved my splitter up in the chain so the the modem had a more direct line.
    BKuhl
    BKuhl@OptOnLine.net

andrewe77

Question

Hmm. My upload hovers around 53db but my download is a happy 0dBmv. Is that 53 pretty high? Should I be concerned? I have no packet loss and good speeds. Never loses sync unless @home does something stupid on the network.

53 isn't bad for upstream transmit power. I believe that 55 is the recommended max. Mine got to 59 one time before I started seeing an intermittent connection. Then it was a quick tweak of the tap outside my home and I was back in business.

Question

The connection to the modem in the house is direct from the outside . I have studio grade zero loss 90% braid 100% flex foil shielded cable . The line in my house is pristine . The power has gone up from -4 dbmv when they installed to 16 dbmv .
    Mcse , A+ and nowhere to go

Registered User therealcableguy's Avatar

vic451,
    Are you having any service problems?The operating range of the modem depends on the manufacturer.We have modems that operate with +20db to -20db.The fact that more signal is hitting your modem,is not by itself,a cause for concern.In fact,depending on the ratio of signal to noise,it might even improve performance.

andrewe77

I didn't think that signal/noise had any effect on the performance. As far as I've experienced, as long as you're connected you're good to go.

Originally posted by andrewe77:
    I didn't think that signal/noise had any effect on the performance. As far as I've experienced, as long as you're connected you're good to go.
    As long as you're not having sync or packet loss problems, you should be OK.

Question

Vic
    What are you using to generate the chart you are posting?

16 dBmV is only one dBmV over the DOCSIS standard. It should be all right. If you want to lower the power, swap out the splitter with one that has more taps. You should terminate unused taps. Does your modem provide a SNR?