Thread: Intermittent Cable Internet... thoughts?

Intermittent Cable Internet... thoughts?

I have Time Warner Cable Internet (Road Runner) here in Western Ohio and for the past few weeks, I have been getting intermittent signal. It basically is good for anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes and will go out for anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute. This is annoying to say the least, but I have no idea what's going on.

I have a technician coming on Monday, but I was hoping for some insight to what might be causing this from some of the resident installers/techs. I have had this Toshiba cable modem for about 4.5 years. The line they ran is brand new directly from the box to the modem. After the modem is the Linksys and then into my PC.

I have power cycled everything multiple times over and over. Nothing is changing.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

It could possibly be a problem beyond your drop system. This doesnt happen nearly as often, but if everything is new at your home and the modem is ok (which it could also be that) then there could bea sucked out connector on the hardline or an amplifier is going bad, CPD (common path distortion, its a very annoying problem), etc etc. Its really impossible to give you a direct answer without actually viewing it in person but hope that gives you alittle clue.

my money is on the modem

My bet is on your modem at high power. The return back to the headend is probably low and your modem is working it's but off and it gives out. We have had a problem with return and levels lately. The extreme prolonged heat is making matters even worse. I have been aligning my forward and return levels for 3 weeks straight! The node (light in - RF out) has to be set for certain return telemetry from the headend and then all the amps in cascade set accordingly. It all needs to be working right for your service to be stable. They may turn it over to a Network Maintenance tech and he'll take care of it.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Post you modem levels also. Goto http://192.168.100.1 and give us the signal levels.

My modem is working pretty effortlessly. I got my own run tweaked of course
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo66
    My modem is working pretty effortlessly. I got my own run tweaked of course
    Well come on over and tweak mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    Post you modem levels also. Goto http://192.168.100.1 and give us the signal levels.
    I'm not sure what this is?

It doesn't go anywhere.

Any snow on your TV pics? If there is even the slightest bit of snow on the lower channels (2-6) then the reverse is most likely almost wiped out. If there is any snow on the upper channels (70-up) then your D/L frequency could be so low that the noise floor is effecting the signal. Any flashing on your analog channels? Could be a cracked feeder or trunk line, introducing heavy noise/ingress into the entire banwidth. Frankly it could be a whole bunch of things, but usually around here it something as simple as a coroded fitting or coroded splitter... outside.

I do not believe its your modem. What kinda modem you got? Any indicator lights on it? What are they doing? I dont care what anyone says, everyone should have a Motorolla Surfboard modem. Just for the indicator lights and the tech screens @ 192.168.100.1
    I know you are, but what am I?

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    I'm not sure what this is?

It doesn't go anywhere.

I am sorry, sometimes when going through a router that page cant be displayed or there are a few settings that need to be done to view it. The best way is to hook the modem directly to the pc and then goto that address. The page will display signal levels of your modem which can tell us alot sometimes.

BS: Our TV signal seems great. I have never noticed anything wrong with it.

I'll remove the router tonight and hook-up directly for a connection to the modem itself and will post info.

Thanks!

If your modem is going in and out of sych, it has nothing to do with your router as the modem is first in line connected right to the incoming coax. I still say you either have a return issue outside in the cable plant or some disturbance in your home be it voltage or something else. We have a business clent who runs a lighting store and we had to put his equipment in a sealed box because the amount of disturbance from a million flourecent lights was really messing with his equipment. Weird.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    BS: Our TV signal seems great. I have never noticed anything wrong with it.
    I'll remove the router tonight and hook-up directly for a connection to the modem itself and will post info.

Thanks!

The video portion of your cable isnt related to the internet, as they use completely different frequencies and one can be completely out, yet the other work fine, just so you know