Thread: Same old stuff. Slow this, Slow that... Please help.

Unhappy Same old stuff. Slow this, Slow that... Please help.

Hello.

I hope someone here can help.

First I'll tell you about the problem then I will list the needed information at the bottom and I know this is going to be a bit long winded but I want the person who helps me to have as much information as possible.

I have a high speed cable connection through Adelphia. My rated speed is supposed to be 4000k down and 384k up.

I am having a problem with web pages loading slow, file downloads running slow and online gaming like Q3A lagging and running slow as well, but oddly it seems I am getting my rated speed or better when running speed tests.
    For example I will open speedguide.net and it takes anywhere from 4 to 7 seconds to finish loading the page. According to several web page speed tests like websiteoptimization.com speedguide.net should load in 0.3 seconds at my rated speed.
    Several other web pages take up to 20 or 30 seconds to load.

When I download a file with my rated speed (4000K down) it should transfer around 500k or 1/8 my rated speed, but I usually transfer at around 20k to 40k. I have transferred at around 100k a few times, but not many.

There have also been a few times where the transfer will throttle up to around 225 to 275 when it starts, but then it falls to around 20 to 40 quickly.

I have asked other players with the same ISP as mine and systems with nearly identical specs when we are in the same server about their connection to the server and they connect at around 15 to 25 (the lower you connect the better) and they have low or no lag at all, but I will connect at 125 to 200 and so much lag I can barely play!

Now here is the weird thing. When I test my speed at sites like testmy.net and toast.net It returns results that I am running at and often above my rated speed. I often rate at 4450k down and 410k up and as I said I am rated for 4000k down and 384k up.

I have Freedom Internet security provided by my ISP which includes Anti virus, Firewall, Anti-Spy ware, Pop-up blocker, Add blocker, and privacy manager. I also have Spy-bot S&D, and Ad-Aware SE. I keep them all up to date and check for upgrades everyday. I run them all every night before I go to bed.

Because I read that Windows firewall can prevent certain wanted actions and cause problems with some programs as well as I read that it is bad to be behind too many firewalls at once I have tried testing the problem with Windows firewall off and on and there was no difference.
    I even tried turning off all of my protective programs and again there is no difference.

Recently I ran Symantec's on line virus checker and security risk scanner, McAfee on line virus and spy ware checker,
    Trend Micro PC-cillin's on line virus and spy ware scanner,
    Panda's on line virus and spy ware scanner and Zone Alarm's virus, spy ware, and security risk checker and it all came up clean.
    A few of them even told me that I appear to be invisible or to not exist which is supposed to be a good thing. I though for sure that there would be a nasty virus or spy/add ware found that was slowing me down, but they all found my system to be clean!

I have tried unplugging my cable modem and waiting 30 seconds and then plugging it back in to allow for server re-synchronization.

I have checked all the settings in my system with my ISP's on line chat help and with Microsoft's on line chat and e-mail help and Linksys e-mail support for my router and according to them my system is within normal settings although they all admit that because my system seems OK and set properly I should not be having a problem with slow page load, slow file transfer and slow game play. They offered some possible resolutions like running the system file checker and turning off (DEP) Data Execution Prevention, but none of them have helped the problem at all.

I also make sure my system stays clean and tidy.

I clear out my cookies, temporary internet and offline files and history every day. I also run Ad-Aware and Spy-bot S&D and Freedom Security's spy/add ware scanner every day as well.

I run Freedom's Anti virus about every 2 to 4 days.

I run disk cleanup about once every week.

And I run Defrag and scan disk once about every 2 to 4 weeks and after I load or remove any sizable programs.

I also ran the speedguide.net speed test 20 times in a row and it ranged from 0.633 to 2.404. Kinda strange.

I ran the speedguide.net security scanner and the results said that all of my ports are "filtered ports".

Here are the results of a ping test I ran to speedguide.net
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\WINDOWS\system>ping www.speedguide.net
    Pinging speedguide.net [63.217.30.70] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 63.217.30.70: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=52
    Reply from 63.217.30.70: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=52
    Reply from 63.217.30.70: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=52
    Reply from 63.217.30.70: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=52
    Ping statistics for 63.217.30.70:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 52ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 56ms

Here are the results from the TCP/IP Anylizer:
    SpeedGuide.net TCP/IP Analyzer

TCP properties for IP = XX.XX.XXX.XX ()
    Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.
    TCP options string = 020405b401010402
    MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
    MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 65535
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 65535
    Note: Under Windows 9x, if you have RWIN set to any other value, and the Analyzer reports 65535 you might need to install the MS Vtcp386 fix.
    For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    64240 (MSS x 44)
    bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 2621.4 kbps (327.675 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 1048.56 kbps (131.07 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = OFF
    Time to live left = 117 hops
    TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

22975933 connections tested since 03.10.2001.
    Analyzer version: 1.06 - last updated 04.12.2005.

I would run the TCP/IP Optimizer, but I had another simmilar system and running the Optimizer seemed to make the problem worse. And according to my ISP, Microsoft and Linksys all of my setting are ok, but if you think it will help this time I wil run it.

Here are the specs for my system wich is only 4 months old.

MidATX Case 300watt. Power Supply
    K7MNF-64 PCB 1.x 400MHzFSB USB2.0 8XAGP
    Nforce2Chipset
    AMD Sempron 3000+ ~2000MHz 512L2cache 333MHz
    512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz
    80Gig 7200rpm HDD
    NVidia G-Force FX5700LE 256MB DDR 950MHz (425+425)MHz
    NForce2 Audio Chipset (Useing Sony HiFi Sterio Headphones With Mic)
    DVDR-RW Doublelayer 8.5Gig 16xDVD/56XCD
    8in1 Digital Media Manager
    Logitech WebCam
    Lexmark p3150 PrintTrio Printer/Scanner/Copier/Digital Card Reader
    17"CRT Anti Glair FlatScreen Monitor
    2 Button Optical Wheel Mmouse
    Standard 114 key Intrnet Keyboard
    Cable Internet 4MBps-down/384kBps-up
    Linksys Network Everywhere Cable/DSL 4 port router NR041
    Motorola SB5100 SURFBoard Cable modem

That is all the info I can think of to offer for now.

Hope you can help.

Thanks!

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Try thease in the sg optmizer below me to download and install

check - custom settings
    network adapter selection -
    check modify all adapters
    maxmtu 1500
    TTL - 64
    TCP Receive 64240
    MTU Discovery - yes
    Black Hole Detect - no
    Selective Acks - yes
    Max Dup ACKs - 2
    TCP 1323 nothing is checked

Other Settings tab:

Max Connections per Server - 10
    Max Connections per 1.0 Server - 20
    Lan Browsing Speedup - optimized

Then select "Apply Changes" and reboot to take effect.

VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. Under your LAN connection - properties - general tab, uninstall all the protocols there that you do not need. For a stand alone pc all you need is Internet Protocol TCP/IP.

2. Open IE and select tools - internet options - connections - LAN settings, make sure NOTHING there is checked.

3. ALWAYS connect your modem via ethernet (NIC) and make sure you have the latest drivers for your NIC from the manufacturer and set your duplex mode to "auto". If you are using a router make sure you have the latest firmware.

4. Clean out your temporary internet files with CrapCleaner.

5. Power cycle your modem i.e. unplug it for at least 15 seconds.

6. Download, update and scan with SpyBot S&D 1.4 http://majorgeeks.com/download2471.html EXACTLY as I explain HERE http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download& Ad-Aware SE 1.06 EXACTLY as I explain HERE to remove any spyware then install and update SpywareBlaster 3.4 http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.htmlto stay spyware FREE. YOU MUST USE BOTH AD AWARE & SPYBOT TO ENSURE YOU ARE SPYWARE FREE SINCE ONE FINDS WHAT THE OTHER MISSES. If these 2 programs find a lot of things then please post a HijackThis 1.99.1 log for us to look at.

7. Make sure you do the faster web page tweak in our Help & Tips page.

8. If you have Zone Alarm as a firewall uninstall it and search your pc for the left over files.

9. Install Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5, it's FREE and uses next to no resources.

10. Do a FREE online virus scan from Kaspersky Labs.

11. Make sure you have ALL of the latest Windows Updates.
    Comptia a+ n+

Thanks for the help. The speed problem may not be all me. When you directed me to get spywareblaster the file download transfered at 502k! So I tried a download from some of the other sites I have been useing and it was back to 40k transfer rate. Perhaps it is partially the web sites themselvs. I used the optimiser and used the settings you provided and retried the spyware blaster download and had a 556 transfer rate. And those othe sites that were transfering at 40k are now transfering anywhere from 105kbps to 1.9MBps! Wow!

Strange that it ranges so widely, but the point is it seems to be doin much better.

Thanks.