Thread: Auto-Complete Emails (Editing)

Advanced Member

Auto-Complete Emails (Editing)

I have Win XP Home, and IE 6.0. I have the Auto-Complete on and it will allow me to insert emails I have typed previously in email fields. But I have a whole bunch more in there than I would like. Some are typos of valid email addrs I wanted, others are mistakenly in there from when I was doing a work-at-home project that involved cutting & pasting email addrs.

Is there anyway I can find these entries and edit them, to remove the ones I do not want showing up? All I can find is a way to Clear History or Clear Forms or Clear Passwords. I have tried doing a Search of all the files on my hard drive, (looking for one of these email addrs inside all of the files). I have also tried searching for these entries in the Registry. So far, no luck. Just where does Windows keep this information?

SG Enthusiast
    You're saying email, yet you didn't mention what email client you use, Outlook or Outlook Express? Or are you really talking about website addresses?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    You're saying email, yet you didn't mention what email client you use, Outlook or Outlook Express? Or are you really talking about website addresses?
    My guess is he's using a web-based email service (ie Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).

Advanced Member
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I use Outlook Express. But what I'm talking about is, you go to a website, Monster for example. You are filling in a form and it says enter your email address. I get a pop-up that shows email addresses I have typed in the past, that match at least partially what I am typing. For example, if I type "c", the first letter in my email address, besides mine, others are in the list, like cajunshorty@aol.com, cheerchick01@yahoo.com, etc.

Editing this list, to be able to remove unwanted names on that list, is what I am asking about.

Thanks!

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I use Outlook Express. But what I'm talking about is, you go to a website, Monster for example. You are filling in a form and it says enter your email address. I get a pop-up that shows email addresses I have typed in the past, that match at least partially what I am typing. For example, if I type "c", the first letter in my email address, besides mine, others are in the list, like cajunshorty@aol.com, cheerchick01@yahoo.com, etc.

Editing this list, to be able to remove unwanted names on that list, is what I am asking about.

Thanks!
    Give this a shot:

1. Go to the site that has the wrong value saved
    2. Double-click in the field (email address, etc) but stop typing when the choices appear.
    3. Move your mouse over the 'bad' value - don't click or push enter
    4. Hit the delete key

Acknowledge and move on.

Have fun,

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Advanced Member
    cyberskye, that seems to have done it!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    Give this a shot:

1. Go to the site that has the wrong value saved
    2. Double-click in the field (email address, etc) but stop typing when the choices appear.
    3. Move your mouse over the 'bad' value - don't click or push enter
    4. Hit the delete key

Acknowledge and move on.

Have fun,

Skye
    Cool solve..I used it too. Gracias.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!