Thread: Quick console version question

Quick console version question

Just installed the console version on a friend of mine's that was having some sort of graphics problems with the graphical version.

Got the console version going fine, told it to start with the system as a service.

Have seen all the flags to use here:http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html

Question. F@h is currently running as a window by the clock, but...

Can I close that window and still have it run? How do I have it run without opening a window?

Thanks

If you reboot it will start to run as a service. The initial setup it will quit if you close the F@H window.
    Picture yourself
    Set up for good in a whole other life
    In the mystery zone

The newest version of the console really doesn't need any flags. Its all pretty much autodetect now.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Sito updated mine, it has 2 pie graphs, cool....sweet....update?

2 more questions:

How can I tell how many wu's the system has completed? I can look at the text file and it says

[18:41:59] + Attempting to send results
    [18:45:47] + Results successfully sent
    [18:45:47] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [18:45:47] + Starting local stats count at 1

...so in the future will it mention the local stats count again?
    I'm used to the graphical version which will tell you right there.

Second...do I change the amount of cpu usage f@h gets with the -config command only?

Thanks
    Last edited by Humboldt; 08-09-05 at 08:57 PM.

And another

According to Task Manager the system is only using f@h at about 50% cpu, even though I told it with the -config to use 90%, hence my prior question.

Any ideas there?

thanks

Sounds like the cpu is HT capable since only 1 version folding uses only 50% of cpu cycles which means it's running at max 100% even though you told it 90%.

If you created another folder to fold from and sit it up a cpu2 you would have 2 versions folding and then the 90% usage would probably take hold.

Tks
    rick

Edit: But yes the -config is the only way to sit cpu usage.
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt
    2 more questions:

How can I tell how many wu's the system has completed? I can look at the text file and it says

[18:41:59] + Attempting to send results
    [18:45:47] + Results successfully sent
    [18:45:47] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [18:45:47] + Starting local stats count at 1

...so in the future will it mention the local stats count again?
    I'm used to the graphical version which will tell you right there.

Second...do I change the amount of cpu usage f@h gets with the -config command only?

Thanks
    In your folding folder there will be a HTML file that has all your stats in it. Its the Stanford page of your personal account. Myfolding.html

Pie
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

In your folding folder there will be a HTML file that has all your stats in it. Its the Stanford page of your personal account. Myfolding.html
    Since I'm folding with the Fat Dogs though, when I look at the user stats I get the stats for everyone using that name.

These console questions came up after I installed the console version on a friend's system. It seems to be running fine now but when I went over last night on Aug 9 the log file only had a date reference to Aug 7.

I know it completed at least one wu, but am not sure if it's finished anything since then. On my system with the graphical version it tells you the number of completed wu's a system has completed, not just the user name. Is there anything like that for the console version? How can I tell how many wu's a specific system has completed if it doesn't tell you in the log file (and if the system is folding under the same user name as others so I can't tell by looking at user stats)?

Thanks

After a completed work unit is completed and transmitted the log file is updated on how many units that pc has sent in since the client.cfg file was created. The same number should be also updated in the client.cfg file if you open it with notebook.

Tks
    Rick
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

Quote Originally Posted by rickoic
    Sounds like the cpu is HT capable since only 1 version folding uses only 50% of cpu cycles which means it's running at max 100% even though you told it 90%.

If you created another folder to fold from and sit it up a cpu2 you would have 2 versions folding and then the 90% usage would probably take hold.

Tks
    rick

Edit: But yes the -config is the only way to sit cpu usage.
    So even though the system is a 2.5 GHz it's only running f@h at 1.25GHz ? And the only way to get it to fold at its true potential is to have 2 instances of folding running, or have I misunderstood?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickoic
    After a completed work unit is completed and transmitted the log file is updated on how many units that pc has sent in since the client.cfg file was created. The same number should be also updated in the client.cfg file if you open it with notebook.

Tks
    Rick
    So it should say somewhere in the logfile or the client.cfg?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt
    Since I'm folding with the Fat Dogs though, when I look at the user stats I get the stats for everyone using that name.

These console questions came up after I installed the console version on a friend's system. It seems to be running fine now but when I went over last night on Aug 9 the log file only had a date reference to Aug 7.

I know it completed at least one wu, but am not sure if it's finished anything since then. On my system with the graphical version it tells you the number of completed wu's a system has completed, not just the user name. Is there anything like that for the console version? How can I tell how many wu's a specific system has completed if it doesn't tell you in the log file (and if the system is folding under the same user name as others so I can't tell by looking at user stats)?

Thanks
    Oh yeah I forgot about that..your on a team. You can get one of the monitoring programs like Fah Logstats or there is anoher one that people here use to tell you how long, the point value and how many you have done. I think the other one is Electron Microscope. The Fah Logstats guy hasn't been keeping up with things lately so you might not want that one.

Pie

Have used EM off and on for a few years, thought that the logfile would show it somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder though

If the cpu is capable of hyper-threading and its 2.5GHz then it should be capable of running 2 versions of folding, not at 2.5GHz each, but at somewhere around 2.25GHz each. Your running only one version which uses 50% of your cpu power so it should be at almost the full 2.5GHz.

Tks
    Rick