Thread: Lightning Strikes!

Lightning Strikes!

Don't even know if this is a question, or a rant, but I am sure there is a question in here.

2 days ago I guess my house was hit, I come home computer that was on was completely locked up, and the other computer that was wired would boot but not connect to the internet. I pretty much assumed the one that was not connected to the internet the onboard nic was shot because it kept displaying cable unplugged, and I was right, replaced the nic and it was good. Went to my network box, and it had left my router alone but blown the ac cord to it, taken out my 8-port swith, blown my cable/phone modem, and taken out my fax machine on my canon multifunction printer and the machine will not turn off. The first computer mentioned would boot and get to the windows xp logo then go black I thought maybe it was the hard drive, but when I disabled the onboard nic it booted right up, I replaced and its fine now. So this leads me to believe the lightning came in on the cable and not the power, and just channeled through the data lines. I guess the only question I have is should I be concerned the ground outside of the house before the cable comes into my house didn't take this to the ground? I mean I didn't use a surge on the cables just on the ac. Pisses me off though I just bought that printer. ANy suggestions to foolproof this from happening again. I put a belkin surge on all my ac adapters and on my cable before it goes into the modem. Thanks.

Get a Surge Suppressor with Ethernet,Cable,Phone lightning suppressor built on. Probably a small 500Vac UPS with a line condistioner is good..Like a Tripplite,APC,Belkin should be about 50-90.00

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Do those power surge protectors actually work? In this kind of a situation for example. I was told to plug everything into one of those and then I wouldn't have to worry about anything. I have but I haven't been struck by lightning
    http://members.speedguide.net/daddylongleg/speedguidesig.jpg

SG Enthusiast
    Surge protectors are good ideas, but there is no guarantee that anything will stop lightning. No matter what you did, a hit that got that much would have hit a good percentage of them even if protected.

I live in Florida so I shouldn't be surprised, I once saw a lady's house that had lightning rods all over the roof burn to the ground. From talking to lineman, they say nothing can fully protect you from lightning, even surges don't protect from the hit just a power spike or surge after.

What pisses me off though is I know this didn't come through on the power side, I mean I know the lightning had to pass through my data cable to take out the nics in two computers, and not the other one that was wireless, and take out everything that was associated with the cable, I didn't mention earlier but I have voip and it took out my fax machine, it thinks its always off the hook now. Just wondering if I should get someone out here to make sure they have the cable grounded properly.

That episode of "Mythbusters" (c) with the phone while standing in the tub grounded to the drain, getting hit by a fraction of lightning pretty much explains it.