Thread: Would a router cause time outs, problems with accessing webpages/email server?

Would a router cause time outs, problems with accessing webpages/email server?

I had posted in another one of the sections about a problem I was having with my linksys WRT54GS router and roadrunner cable. (see link here )

I was often getting 'www.whatever.com has timed out' or the page cant be displayed messages both on the wireless computer and the wired one (connected directly to the router). WHile this occured, obviously I was having trouble connecting to the roadrunner email server as well. What was weird though, was that if I had azureus running, it would still be downloading at a reasonable clip, even while my attempt to visit internt sites was timing out. If I reloaded the page multiple times or something, it might work.

I ruled out the problem where it can connect to an IP address but not that name of the site, so right now I have two culprits. One, is that azureus is messing things up, but I went on azureus' irc help chat and they reccomended I cut down the number of connections and downloads I had going at once. I did so and now I am uploading at a relatively slow speed and few downloads and it seemed to be abit better, but soon went bak to the same time out problem. Also, I used to download and seed many files at once through azureus when just using the wired computer (no router at that time) and I rarely had this timing out error at the same time as using azureus. It happened but less frequently then now and didn't seem to be linked to azureus at all.

THe second possibility relates to my question in this section of the board. Could me using a router or maybe azureus or some other program such as that connected to the router be the culprit? I tried calling time warner tech support and all they do when I have this problem is to reconnect the cable modem directly to my wired computer and reset it(I then hook up my router again) fixing the problem. But, it comes back sooner or later and I often reboot my computers to clear the problem, and sometimes I have to pull the power plug on the cable modem itself for it to get fixed. of course they have no idea what is going on and won't do anything if its the routers fault (the hardware definitely is a ok on this router).

I guess I will run the computers now for a while without azureus and see whats the issue, but I know that this kind of problem shouldn't occur. Many,many people use routers and i'm sure alot of them use a bittorrent client, but I don't think this happens often.

Any suggestions? Could it be an issue because of the router? If I just ran everything the way I do now on the wired comp with no router, this problem occured once in a while but not nearly as freequently as now. Should I try calling linksys tech support? Would they be of any help?

I have firmware 4.50.6
    Last edited by pmoney; 07-22-05 at 08:18 PM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Recent firmware on the router? They fixed a lot of issues with the W-G series when 4.x firmware came out.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Recent firmware on the router? They fixed a lot of issues with the W-G series when 4.x firmware came out.

Yeah I have 4.50.6 which is latest.

I live in the sticks behind the bike Shop!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmoney
    Yeah I have 4.50.6 which is latest.
    Does anyone know of any filmware update or Driver update for the Westell versalink 327W router? I know it's not the best router but Budget is tight,,or maybe my isp is a tight as* and wont let me update,my router lets me look for updates through it but all request's go through my isp,any suggestions,oh,I also connect to my router through my usb because i share my connection with my laptop which uses wireless.this may be a bit confusing but it's the only way i know to find out,have called my isp,they have no clue,,HELP!!

Their website does not appear to have any,
    http://www.westell.com/pages/support...=A90-327W10-06
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Their website does not appear to have any,
    http://www.westell.com/pages/support...=A90-327W10-06

Ok i did'nt think so thx tho.

I am having the same problem. I run a LinkSys WRT54G router and without the router, I can run Azureus and browse just fine. With the router, doing the same activity, I am getting LOTS of timeouts web browsing, but Azureus is working fine. My Instant Messenger seems to be working fine too. I shut down Azureus and then everything is fine.

Hmmmm...

Those peer to peer sharing apps tend to overwhelm most home grade broadband routers, too many concurrent connections. I have read where some people are having better luck running 3rd party firmware on the routers, like HyperWRT or DD-WRT.
    Guinness for Strength!!!