Thread: Is a NHL New Deal Close at Hand???

Blog Entries

Smile Is a NHL New Deal Close at Hand???

Hi to All you Hockey Enthusiasts

It appears something positive is underway at last. Lets keep our eyes crossed and hope for the best. Been too long.

Also an update on coach Pat Burns
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moves a hint deal is close
    NOTHING HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED, BUT MANOEUVRING MAY MEAN NHL LOCKOUT IS OVER

By AL STRACHAN
    ---------------------------

IF THE National Hockey League had indeed reached a deal in principle with its players, it would have been announced by now.

Both the league and the NHL Players Association know that it makes no sense to try to keep such a development from public scrutiny.

But the fact that an American newspaper has made the latest claim of a done deal is of some merit, even if it's not accurate. It's one more indication that the deal is close.

Everybody who is interested already knows that. The hiring of general managers, the shuffling of coaches (look for Anaheim general manager Brian Burke to go after Mike Johnston, assistant coach of the Vancouver Canucks, now that he has forced his incumbent, Mike Babcock, out of his post) and the over-all gearing up of the league, are all indications that a new collective bargaining agreement is not far away.

Nothing is finalized yet, but a lot of concepts are very near to agreement. They might change slightly as the tit-for-tat shuffling of concessions continues, but in essence, the deal will be pretty much the way Bruce Garrioch spelled it out in Monday's edition of the Toronto Sun.

The players will take a significant drop in salaries, but that's no surprise. Their first meaningful foray into the bargaining waters was a 24% rollback. They were always aware that they wouldn't be able to maintain the levels that the owners had established over the previous decade.

Team salaries will be capped in the $39-million range and for most teams, that won't represent a major hardship.

The Toronto Maple Leafs, for instance, had a payroll of approximately $55 million when the owners started the lockout.

Reduce it by the 24% that has long been accepted as part of the deal and that leaves a payroll in the $42-million range. Subtract the $5.5 million salary of Alexander Mogilny who never had any intention of playing again, no matter what he might have said in radio interviews, and the Maple Leafs' payroll is down to $36.5 million.

That leaves $2.5 million to find a replacement for Mogilny.

Curiously, getting over the salary cap figure might prove to be more difficult than getting under it. The floor will be in the range of $24 million -- which represents a payroll of almost $32 million in pre-rollback terms.

Season-ending payrolls are a bit misleading because of deals made at the trading deadline, but probably at least six teams will have to increase their payrolls -- after the rollback -- to meet the $24-million minimum.

There's no doubt that the new CBA will create some problems around the league.

Hockey is, after all, a game that lends itself well to retribution, and some of the players who undermined the efforts of the majority will, on occasion, find themselves becoming the centre of attention.

Also, the low entry-level salaries could see the league lose some of its best young players to Europe.

By virtue of its status as the best league in the world, the NHL represents the aspirations of most youngsters. But do they necessarily want to play in the NHL as teenagers, or do they want to do a transitional term in Europe?

For Europeans, it's not a tough decision. The top draft pick of 2004, Alexander Ovechkin, can earn a lot more playing at home in Russia than in the NHL. The second pick, Evgeni Malkin, reportedly has already agreed to stay in Russia rather than report to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

As a North American, Sidney Crosby will probably opt to stay here, even though he can earn more in Europe. But he too could decide to postpone his NHL debut.

Those are decisions that will be made in the near future, once the clauses of the deal are officially released.

---

Re Pat Burns Condition
    ======

It seems things have regressed unfortunately. Hang in there Coach
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW JERSEY Devils coach Pat Burns is resting at home in New Hampshire after another round of cancer surgery and is preparing for chemotherapy treatments in Boston this summer.

TSN reported yesterday that the one-time Maple Leafs boss was operated on last week at a New Jersey hospital. The 53-year-old had been declared cancer-free by doctors in April, after surgery and chemotherapy for colon cancer last year, but a source told TSN a blood test in May revealed Burns now has a different form of the disease.

"He's taking it easy right now, looking for a lot of people's support and hearing from a lot of well-wishers," said cousin Randy Burns, an executive with Mission I-Tech Hockey. "There's not a lot to add right now."

Devils president Lou Lamoriello had been informed of Burns' condition a few weeks ago but has not revealed medical information at Burns' request.

Lamoriello might be giving an official update on Burns' health next week. It's expected Larry Robinson will be offered the coaching job in Burns' absence.

--------

regards

minir
    Last edited by minir; 07-08-05 at 08:32 AM.

Woo Hoo!! Sounds promising Larry

Gods speed to your healing Pat Burns. Angel Blessings.
    Mystical Folding Minx

Blog Entries
    Good Morning MissTynker

Yes indeed, good news is in the offing i think

I would expect sometime next week for sure as the Season Tickets and Game Scheduling must be started soon to allow the Owners time to get both items accomplished so time is of the essence i would believe.

As to Pat its a real shame to have been cleared only to have this horror revisit you. He's a tough Guy so hopefully he can overcome this ordeal.

--

Thanks MissTynker and do have a lovely day

--

regards

Larry

....after what Jeremy Roenick had to say ... F them even if they do get a deal done ... I'd rather watch paint dry

yeah i'll prolly watch The Wild still

I wonder how many teams will fold because of this.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Quote me if you like. There will be a season next year.
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

Blog Entries
    Hi Izzo, tao_jones & Spammy

Izzo
    One cannot judge a League by the voice of one Player. Roenick talks first & thinks after, always has. Give Him credit though as he was correct months back when he strongly suggested the Players take the last Deal offered. They didn't and took a further whack.

--

tao_jones
    Basically they've strengthened the weaker Teams with the Revenue Sharing and lowering of the Salary Cap.

That said i still believe one or two may be closed and moved elsewhere in a couple of years.

--

Spammy
    Hopefully this year too

--

Thanks Guys, Keep your heads up and your sticks on the ice

--

regards

minir

Cool, I cant wait to see the Ducks play, or shall I say kick everyones butt! hehe
    Live everyday as if it was your last.
    Folding with TheFallenAngels

Quote Originally Posted by PinkKitty
    Cool, I cant wait to see the Ducks play, or shall I say kick everyones butt! hehe
    That's my gril.

Even though I would rather see detroit take it.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    from what i have read, the future is looking pretty good for my PENS! Hope they stay in pittsburgh for as long as the NHL stands!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBKM
    from what i have read, the future is looking pretty good for my PENS! Hope they stay in pittsburgh for as long as the NHL stands!

Jb I think there is a good chance of that happening.
    SG Sh!!t List

Blog Entries
    Hi PinkKitty, Spammy & JBKM

PinkKitty
    Hope springs eternal Eh!

--

Spammy
    Detroit's days are iffy for the next couple of years i think Spammy. No Goaltending

--

JBKM
    This one will be on the bubble i think JBKM. No Mario, no Gate. They need New Money their imho.

--

Thanks everyone and do have a lovely evening

--

regards

minir

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    I was under the impression that Mario was going to play next season and go for as long as his body can handle it. I read that he said he will play untill he can't handle or can't contribute. And what is the BS about us losing our draft pick because he doesn't want to leave russia now?! Gotta get soemthing out of how bad we were last season!

As far as money goes im hoping pittsburgh okays those slots so they will have some incoming cash.....
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi JBKM

I'm sure Mario will try, but he's getting up there and how long a Season he can handle is a big question mark.

There is talk with the Salary Cap and the Low Range Salary for Draft Picks, several are refusing to come over, as they can make more in Europe. Others are saying they may leave and go to Europe. At this point who knows, but it could be a problem with Drafts.

The Cap will help prolong the Team, but long term is very iffy imho. Mario as you know does not have deep pockets.

Thanks JBKM and have a pleasant night

--

regards

Larry

Blog Entries
    Hi Spammy

Detroit makes a move
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAVE LEWIS will not return as the Red Wings coach, paving the way for former Anaheim coach Mike Babcock to come to Detroit.

General manager Ken Holland, who announced the decision yesterday, said he broke the news to Lewis a day earlier.

"He was obviously very disappointed, but I also think he understood," Holland said of Lewis who had been behind the Wings bench as a head coach or assistant since 1987.

In Lewis' two seasons as head coach, the Wings were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by Babcock's Mighty Ducks in 2003 and in the second round by Calgary the following year. Lewis signed a one-year contract in June of last year, only a few months before the NHL lockout began.

"With three Stanley Cups in four trips to the final, four President's Cups, being an all-star head coach and being with a great bunch of guys and a storied organization, I couldn't ask for anything more," Lewis told AP yesterday.

Babcock, who on Wednesday rejected a one-year offer to remain coach of the Ducks, has been considered a prime candidate to replace Lewis. Babcock's contract also expired June 30.

"I have had conversations with Mike Babcock and his adviser over the past week," Holland said. "He is not hired. I expect to have further conversations with him and/or his adviser. I have other people in mind that I have not talked to."
    DAVE LEWIS will not return as the Red Wings coach, paving the way for former Anaheim coach Mike Babcock to come to Detroit.

General manager Ken Holland, who announced the decision yesterday, said he broke the news to Lewis a day earlier.

"He was obviously very disappointed, but I also think he understood," Holland said of Lewis who had been behind the Wings bench as a head coach or assistant since 1987.

In Lewis' two seasons as head coach, the Wings were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by Babcock's Mighty Ducks in 2003 and in the second round by Calgary the following year. Lewis signed a one-year contract in June of last year, only a few months before the NHL lockout began.

"With three Stanley Cups in four trips to the final, four President's Cups, being an all-star head coach and being with a great bunch of guys and a storied organization, I couldn't ask for anything more," Lewis told AP yesterday.

Babcock, who on Wednesday rejected a one-year offer to remain coach of the Ducks, has been considered a prime candidate to replace Lewis. Babcock's contract also expired June 30.

"I have had conversations with Mike Babcock and his adviser over the past week," Holland said. "He is not hired. I expect to have further conversations with him and/or his adviser. I have other people in mind that I have not talked to."

--

regards

minir