Thread: Looking for a Dune Buggie Kit?

Looking for a Dune Buggie Kit?

Anyone know of a place to purchase a kit for a Dune buggy?

I'm talkin about engine,suspension,bars shocks etc... I want the whole kit to just put together.
    Looking for something over 2000cc also I'd like to have it street legal as well.
    Manual trans with 4speed/reverse would be nice.
    Throw some ideas at me people

found one on ebay I really liked but the guy is in Michigan and I'm in Virginia he wants 5900 for it trailer included but I can't get up there to get the sucker it is very nice too.

Haha!!

For some reason Firefox plays GIF's a little faster than IE. Your dancing lady looks like she's having a siezure while sniffing her armpit.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    Haha!!

For some reason Firefox plays GIF's a little faster than IE. Your dancing lady looks like she's having a siezure while sniffing her armpit.

Ya takes some getting use to lol

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    Haha!!

LOL

any places near Virginia? All those that I saw was west coast and canada?

Buy an old VW Beetle and chop the body off of it. Then build a roll cage around it. Out of some 1 3/4" pipe.
    Respect it.

Broke
    Makeing a buggy legal in VA

State Inspection:
    In Virginia, we have State Inspections so my first step was to make sure that I was willing to do everything necessary to pass the Inspection. I obtained an inspection manual and read it (several times). If you live in Virginia you can obtain one by writing to:

Commonwealth of Virginia
    Department of State Police
    Safety Division
    PO Box 85607
    Richmond VA 23285

The manual was about $10, but to be on the safe side call them to find out. If you don't live in Virginia, then ask someone at the the local Inspection Station where you can buy a copy (TIP: The address is usually on the inside of the Manual.) When you get the manual read it carefully - very carefully. It might say something like "each door must be equipped with an inside handle". It doesn't say you need doors however.

You'll need the obvious things like:

DOT Approved Headlights
    DOT Approved Windshield & Wipers Windshield Tip: If you have a Tube Chassis order Bugpack part #6049. This is a molding that is designed to hold a windshield glass inside a tube frame. Any good automotive windshield maker/ repairer can custom make a windshield out of DOT approved safety glass. Make the windshield removable for off-road use. Removable Windshield Photos
    Wiper motors can be bought from JC Whitney. They are cheap so don't expect them to do much more than just remove rain water.

DOT Approved Turn signals See the Electrical page in the TechTips section for Turn signal wiring.
    A turn signal switch can be bought from JC Whitney.

DOT Approved Brake Lights See the Electrical page in the TechTips section for Brake Light wiring (It's a little tricky for front/rear brakes with a brake failure light and turn signals.

Front Brakes Make sure the front brakes work properly. You might need a brake proportioning valve to keep them from locking up. Get an adjustable one so you can lower the pressure even more for the dirt.

License Plate Mount Hint: On the back get a plastic frame with a built-in light

Speedometer
    Emergency Brake or Holding Brake An Emergency brake is better and safer that a holding brake.
    Look here for options for Disc brakes: VW Rear Drum to Disc Conversion

Defroster: In VA you need one. Not that it will do a thing in an open air car, but you do need one
    Fenders? Full Width Bumpers? - Not necessary in VA but read your Inspection manual!

Vehicle Registration:
    This depends again on the State you live in, and what kind of chassis you have. It will usually boil down to something like this: If it's a "lot" like a VW, then it be titled as a VW. If it uses the original VW pan and suspension then it will be a "Reconstructed Vehicle." If it has a custom made Chassis then it will be a "Specially Constructed Vehicle."

Go to Department of Motor Vehicles in your State and tell them you need the forms to obtain a VIN number and a new title. You'll probably need receipts for the major componts or you'll have to sign an affidavit that states that you did in fact buy the parts and/or the vehicle. Also you might need to write a "Statement of Construction" that states the type of material the vehicle is built from, what type of vehicle the major components came from, etc. If the local branch office of your DMV gives you a blank stare, then you'll have to call the main office and ask who handles "Kit-Car" or "Specially Constructed Vehicle" registrations. Once you get all the paperwork filled out and you have a VIN number, you'll probably have to make arrangements with a State Inspection officer (or someone similar) who will inspect that the VIN number is in place. They may also inspect the Vehicle. Once you have your VIN number and Title you should be able to get your Tags (License Plate). Don't forget to get a vanity plate with a cool message on it (DUNE-BUG, BUGGY-1, etc..) If the plate relates to the buggy, then it will help to keep the donut eaters off your back. (Text removed due to a Dunkin Donuts owner getting offended.)

Insurance:
    First ask your insurance agent to add a new car. Explain that it's taged, titled, and will be inspected once you can drive to the inspection station. If your lucky you'll get it.

If you get turned down:
    I got shot down the first time I tried to get insurance. Then I called the home office and talked to the insurance adjuster. I explained to him that this car is recognized by the state as a Department of Transportation approved vehicle, it passes state inspection and is fully licensed. (It's important for him/her to understand that it is a street vehicle NOT an off-road vehicle.) Furthermore I explained to him that it has a full roll cage and 4 point seat belt system similar to a race car, and a fire extinguisher. It only gets driven in fair weather a few hundred miles per year and certainly this VW powered vehicle was much safer than my Trans-AM that he insures or any other typical passenger car for that matter.

Don't plan on getting Collision insurance from a national company though. They don't know how to go about doing repairs on a hand-built car. However you should be able to find an Insurance company to give you straight Liability insurance.

Virginia Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Rules and Regulations - Look at Chapter 70 for inspection requirements

Virginia Motor Vehicle Code - Virginia laws relating to motor vehicles. pay special attention to 46.2-625, 46.2-734, and all of Chapter 10

Broke
    http://www.dunebuggy.com/perl-bin/vi...t2=Search+Now#

1964 CUSTOM DUNEBUGGY
    WILD PURPLE BUGGY GRAY CLOTH INTERIOR ALUMINUM SLOT WHEELS GM TILT STEERINGWHEEL GOOD RUNNING SINGLE PORT MOTOR CHROME HEADERS ROLL BAR NEW WINDSHIELD IN FRAME STREET LEGAL WITH VA STATE INSPECTION CLEAR VA TITLE $3500 OBO

meyers manx dunebuggy for sale
    for sale original meyers manx dunebuggy in perfect condition to many extras to mention, has a 1900cc built engine,chromed out, also new chrome wheels/tires. must see this is head turner. i have pictures i can email. contact me at tpaolucci01@yahoo.com, and i will send pictures.asking price is 11500.00 no trades please.

LOL...

You should change your title to: SG Personal Shopper

Broke

Get the one in Michigan, ill go pick it up and ride it to you

Anyone know of a place to purchase a kit for a Dune buggy?

Man what memories of burning Cox fuel and a good running 049!
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Ya I know of the VA inspection crap.. I have to deal with it every year on my Jeep I restored.. I have another set of exhaust pipes I run on it for a day for inspection cause of damn converters other than that the guy I go to each year overlooks alot of stuff as its just in who you know and who they trust