Thread: Adding Router to a LAN point running on Domain Controller

Question Adding Router to a LAN point running on Domain Controller

Hi,

My company network runs on a domain topology instead of workgroup. I would like to setup a Wifi AP at my office location. My cubicle only have one LAN point and it's connected to my desktop computer. I also have a Centrino based notebook but have no network access due to limited LAN point. I plan to hook up a wireless router (with 4-port LAN switcher built-in) to the LAN point and connect my exisiting desktop computer to the router 4-port LAN point. In this way, I can still have my desktop connected plus enabling my notebook to hook up to the network through the wireless AP.

Can this work? As you know, my company network runs on domain, so not sure if it will work with the wireless router or not. With the wireless router in between my desktop and my company network, can my desktop be able to access all the network resources plus internet access? Same goes to my notebook too. By the way, my company internet access go through a proxy server. Will it cause any havoc to the network too?

Pls enlightened me....

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You wont want a router (that will separate your laptop from the network), rather...you'll want an access point.

If DHCP is running from your domain controller, proxy/ISA Server or not, it's no problem. You'll just want to get in touch with your IT guys, pick a static IP address for your access point before you connect it..assign it that static IP, connect it, do your security setup, and you should be good to go.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi,

But the problem is I only have one LAN point. If I were to hook up a AP to this point, then my desktop will not have any LAN point to connect to.

Why using router will separate my notebook from my computer network? What about my desktop, will it also get separate from my company network too since it's connected to the router?

If possible I don't want to get my company IT group to get involved in this. My company domain controller uses DHCP server. Can't the AP works on a dynamic IP?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    There are some units out there which can run in either router or access point mode, Belkins Pre-N unit for example. Units like those will have 4x LAN ports, one of which you would use to uplink to the single data jack, the other 1 for your workstation.

Or if you got a plain access point with just one ethernet port for the uplink, you'd have to add a little 5 port switch or something.

Technically you can also purchase a straight up wireless router and do a bandaid approach..uplink the LAN port to your data jack and utilize one of the 3 remaining ports for your workstation, and make sure you disable your DHCP service before you plug it in. I just prefer to use the "Do it right first" approach rather than trying to bandaide and shoehorn in some other design...hence my suggestion for just an access point.

I advise not running a unit in router mode, because say your companys network has an IP range of something like 10.50.1.XXX, and if you stick a router in there...it will want to hide any computer connected to it behind it's NAT firewall, in a private subnet mask like 192.168.0.XXX. While technically we can squeek by a few things and your laptop would have access to some domain resources, (traffic goes out but not back in) it would not be visa versa and many other functions would break. It's simply not a good idea for many other reasons.

Advise to also do this with the help and permission of the IT guys. Wireless can introduce security risks which management might actually care about. Inconfigured network devices can also wreak havoc on a network with conflicting services. (leaving DHCP enable by accident for example). Not to mention possibly violating the employee computer use policy if they have one.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi,

Thanks for your concern on the security issue and I 100% know what I do will possibly be a breach of my company IT policy.

I like the ideal of using a switcher to split the LAN point. So, switcher is transparent to the domain server right? Does switcher have NAT or DHCP function?

By the way, if I disable the AP SSID beacon broadcasting, if there anyway that people can get to know my AP existence?

I would just ask the IT guys for a small switch (or buy your own) so you can just split off the single data jack. I strongly discourage any attempts to circumvent your IT dept's policies. I would certainly check with them before plugging anything into the network. Besides, if your IT guys are in-house or watch the network closesly, it will be a matter of time before they notice it anyways.

Do you know if your building uses managed switches with port security enabled? When port security is enabled, the jack below your cubicle will be hard-coded to the MAC address of your desktop. If the MAC address changes suddenly, the switch may close the port temporarily or permanently depending on how your IT guys set it up. Once that port shuts down, you will have to confess to the IT dept in order to get your internet access working again.

I know for the building that I take care of, there is no tolerance of users plugging in any device without IT approval. I've seen people get fired over silly little stuff like that, so be careful.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Hi,

I got your point. Well... I guess I would be calling my IT guy tomorrow to check about the wireless network roleout schedule for my building. They are using kinda WPA with LEAP authorisation scheme. But so far, the service only available on certain building for trial-run.

Or, if not, ask for a switcher like you mentioned.

Anyway, I guess I learned something new today about network. Nice chatting with all of you.