Thread: Internet Connection Sharing

Internet Connection Sharing

OK This is complicated..

I bought a router in order to enable me and my brother to share our broadband internet connection. I got a D-link DI-704 off ebay to do the job.

Our internet connection comes from a set top box (thats also used to pipe the cable TV channels thru) that plugs into the PC via an ethernet cable that is in turn plugged into a USB adaptor. So the actual broadband cable goes from the box, into a usb thing then into the PC.

When i tried to simply take out the usb adaptor and connect the ethernet cable straight to my network card, i just couldnt get on the net.

Consequently, when i plug the broadband ethernet cable into the router, the two PC's that are networked via the router just cannot get online. Ive done everything it says to set it up, setting it to allocate the IP dynamically and all that stuff but it just doesnt work.

Then i thought i could just run the internet connection thru my PC, and then use Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing to split the connection between the 2 PC's (networked via the router).

Trouble is when the router is switched on and the two PC's are networked, the internet doesnt work! I can get on the net from my PC, and my brother has the same problem. If we are networked, then the internet does not work, but if the router is off and the network is severed then it works fine.

Can anyone please help me out with this as its driving me mad and 6 hours in the same sweaty room trying to get it to work really sucks.

Thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    First, make sure the PCs are setup correctly behind the router. Run an IPCONFIG, the LAN adapter of each PC should pick up a 192.168.0.XXX address.

Once you confirm this, you know the PCs are setup OK...can you log onto the routers web admin page?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah we've been able to access the admin page. And IPCONFIG shows the ip address of the router alright.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I just reread your post. The router does the internet connection sharing. Each computer plugs into the LAN port of the router independently, you do not use Windows Internet Connection Sharing when you have a router. Simply 1x LAN connection on each computer, plugged into the router.

Once that's done, you should be able to log into your routers web admin, and configure it to your ISP. Now if you have PPPoE DSL, you have to configure it accordingly on the setup page, enter your username/password, etc. If you have cable, you might have to enter a host name, or if your ISP uses MAC authentication, spoof the MAC of your original computer that you had hooked up. Sometimes the cable modem is what learn the MAC of the device previously hooked up to it, and when you change devices, the modem sometimes has to be reset..so power it off for at least 30 minutes, then power on again. See if your router obtains an IP address on the WAN side. This is what you need to look at...the status of your routers WAN connection. No IP means you are not online, hence don't try to open Internet Explorer. If it has an IP address, then it's probably something else in your setup that needs looking at.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!