Thread: someone that knows alot about DSL and cable?

someone that knows alot about DSL and cable?

Hi all,

I have a few questions and would like it if someone could please answer them for me, much appreciated.

1) When dealing with cable or DSL, how do they get the idea when they says it's "Up to 50 times faster than dial up"...wouldn't say a 28.8 kbps dial modem x 50 only be like 1440 kbps, what if your provider is giving you from 3-5 mbps, wouldn't the 50x be a lower estimate?

2) I heard DSL used the whole "DSL isn't shared like cable" as a marketing strategy, and that DSL is also a shared connection. I heard that how each internet connection travels is a bit different but in the end they both share the bandwidth, supposedly it works like this...

DSL-
    your house ------->DSLAM at CO----->router------>OC/Sonet connection to either a central location or upstream provider

Cable-
    Your street------->Cable headend----->router------>OC/Sonet connection to either a central location or upstream provider

The CO and headend are located somewhere near you. This is where the distance limitations come in, particularly with DSL.

Now, on the shared/not shared thing...

Notice that after the headend/CO everyone goes on the same pipe.

With DSL your connection to the DSLAM is dedicated, but that is meaningless because unless you are downloadng something from there, you get on the shared pipe.

With cable you are shared before that, but if you have a good ISP, they segemnt people enough that it will not be an issue. In the 8 years I have had cable, the speeds have always been the same, with no noticiable slowdowns.

3) If cable usually uses DHCP which is a pool of dynamic IP's that changes everyday, then how come DLS usually uses PPPOE, doesn't DSL use dynamic IP's, so whats the main difference between the 2 internet protocols?

I guess the thing to consider is that it really depends on your ISP, in some area's DSL will be faster, and in other area's cable will be faster but either way it's dependent on how good of service your ISP can give you, anyways for those who reply thanks alot!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The speed thing, looks like you already figured it out. 1.5 megs if how many kbps?

Sharing...DSL, you don't share until you get to your ISPs data center, you have a dedicated pipe right to it, and don't begin sharing til you're on their gateway. The concept is....your house has a driveway which dumps your right onto the 8 lane highway. Your performance, what you see is what you get 24/7...it's usually very consistant.

Cable...there's a router for each node (basically neighborhood), and you're sharing right at that point...sharing that uplink to the ISP..then onto the gateway. If you're in a sparse neighborhood, doesn't matter much. If you're in a populated area, and the ISP oversubscribes their bandwidth a bit...things can get glacially slow at peak hours.

As you pointed out, a lot varies, and a lot of the end user experience can depend on the ISP. I have bridged DSL at my house...just pure ATM DHCP, no PPPoE, and a very good ISP. I pay about 3x what the local phone companies DSL runs...but it's worth it. If I couldn't get this service that I have, I'd probably get cable because the local cable here is better than the local phone company DSL.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maltb
    Hi all,

3) If cable usually uses DHCP which is a pool of dynamic IP's that changes everyday, then how come DLS usually uses PPPOE, doesn't DSL use dynamic IP's, so whats the main difference between the 2 internet protocols?
    PPPOE allows the ISP to use the same authentication systems that they use for dial-up. Saves money.

Cable and DSL can issue either static or dynamic IP addresses. A static address is optional for an additional charge.