Thread: unhappy w/performance Thinking Intel over AMD

unhappy w/performance Thinking Intel over AMD

Need help. Just upgraded my main rig went from Asus a7n8x delux w/AMD2200. 1 gig pc 2700 with raptor 74 gig(15 gig OS,60 gig mpeg/bin converting), Seagate 160 gig overall storage.

Well I upgraded to a soyo w/AMD 64 with 1 gig pc3200. all else same. see sig.
    I am lloking to multitask more. I thought this upgrade would suffice. Eg. Burning CDR takes over the pc brings IE and other apps to a very slow crawl. When converting Bins to Mpegs...this also brgins other apps to a crawl. normal apps running single handed are fast. the raptor drive is great.
    Would a intel w/hyperthreading. resolve these issues.
    I would like to have 2 proggys of VCD gear converting bins/mpgs and still be able to surf the net. Dont get me wrong the Hdd is full on and doing its thing.

What recomendations do you all have. and if a definately yes for a hyperthread chip. What would equal my current soyo k8tpro-939 mb/AMD 64 3000 combo.
    Thanks
    Dennis
    Main rig-AMD AM3 Phenom II 965,Asus M478T-E, 4gb DDR3 1600 ram, Intel Series 320 SSD 120gig, Velociraptor 300 gig, WD Blk 1tb deep storage, Sata Cd & DVD drives
    HomeServer-AMD 4600x2, Soltek 939 mb 2 gig Ram, 74 Gig Raptor, 500 gig WD Green storage

That's the amd64 million dollar question.

I was an intel addict for 5 build cycles, lasting about 2 years.

While I miss the multitasking bliss that the hyperthreading provides, the amd64 is certainly faster. It just not faster doing multiple cpu-intensive things.

doing multiple video encodes is certainly very easy with an intel setup, although it is the only thing it'll do faster then your current setup.

I've run 2 video encoding programs at the same time with my old intel setup (p4c 3gig), had some IE's open and then played a game. (bfv)

The video encoders took about 30% longer and the game didn't suffer at all.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Thanks for the reply Zooner. I remember you doing the video encoding thing a while back. Was looking for your feedback
    Great now decisions...decisions....... Be nice when AMD gets their mutitasking core on the market for a little bit.

May have to buy a intel board and try for myself.
    Yes your examples hit it on the nose. No way would I be able to play a game while encoding or converting bin to mpg.
    Main rig-AMD AM3 Phenom II 965,Asus M478T-E, 4gb DDR3 1600 ram, Intel Series 320 SSD 120gig, Velociraptor 300 gig, WD Blk 1tb deep storage, Sata Cd & DVD drives
    HomeServer-AMD 4600x2, Soltek 939 mb 2 gig Ram, 74 Gig Raptor, 500 gig WD Green storage