Thread: good-bye msi, hello dfi

good-bye msi, hello dfi

picked up a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra today.

It's going to replace the msi k8n nf4 that I'm currently running.

I have two major issues with the msi board. First, I can not oc past 219. This is a known issue. Plus, my laptop external HD will NOT run properly off the motherboard. It is underpowering the usb.

I had a msi mobo before (845 chipset). It would NOT reboot, ever. I had to shut it down and then turn it back on. Msi is horrible about fixing problems and I deserve a spanking for buying another.

So, I sold the msi on ebay for $75 + 12shipping = $88

I purchased the dfi for $85 refurb'ed from the egg.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Cool stuff, I picked up the DFI Lanparty nf4 SLI-DR and it is one quick board, very finnikei but the speed is awsome!
    Let me know how you make out with yours, if you like the preformance.
    The NastySasky:
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz| eVGA X58 SLI | 12gigs Dominator XMS3 1600 | 2 ASUS ENGTX 470's | Intel X25 120Gig SSD + 2 WD Black 500's | Pioneer DVD/RW | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Antec 1000Watt | WarMachine M1 Case

Quote Originally Posted by zooner
    picked up a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra today.

I got the same board not yet hooked up so I may ask ya some questions on it.

In the mean time...

Quote Originally Posted by zooner
    Msi is horrible about fixing problems and I deserve a spanking for buying another.
    I nominate Randy to do your spanking!

funny.

I read and read about available mobos for socket939.

The only problem I could find with the dfi is that the nf4 could blow up if you overvolt the ram via the pins.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

disabled account
    MSI makes a fairly reliable board. However, in my experience, they never overclock all that well. Your results do not surprise me.

DFI, on the other hand produces a near infinitely tweakable overclocking monster, but can be a bit unstable.

Let us here what you can get your DFI to do.

david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe
    DFI, on the other hand produces a near infinitely tweakable overclocking monster, but can be a bit unstable.

david
    I second that. DFI really IS unstable. I had freezes all the time under heavy load in every game (except nfsu2, a mystery... ), until I flashed a new bios.... then the problems were gone, for a while at least. Then i started playing an mmorpg extensively, and then started the freezeing thing again. I had to switch back to the nForce4 LAN, and leave the Marvell alone. (why i started using the Marvell in the first place, is irrelevant... ). Then the problems were gone. For a while, at least. After a while, i hooked up with some friends in the mmorpg, and we started using TeamSpeak. Freezes suddenly reappeared, at the same time. I switched audio drivers from NV's to the Realtek drivers. The problems are gone, for now, havent frozen ever since.... <knock><knock>

( Now I am in a position that I have to change the MTU, which I cant do on the nforce4 LAN, coz' it doesnt show up in TCP optimizer, and the Marvell keeps freezing up my comp..., but that's another thread... )

I really should've stuck by my old epox 9nda3 agp board.

As for overclocks, i got fsb up to 240, it was stable, (HT was dropped down to x4 of course), havent experimented further, because my CPU already needed quite some extra voltage to make the 2.4GHz. The aforemnetioned instability occured both OC'd, and at stock speeds, btw.

I hear the new Epox nf4 board has impressive overclocking options, I'd go for that, if i were you.

I'm well over 230 on my DFI as of right now.. i'm pushing my AMD fx55 from a 2.6 over a 3.5 right now and running very stable under a full load and around 45c!

I'm bumping it up a little every day and doing tests on it to see how high I can get.. I'd like to see it over 250 maybe pushing over a 4.0!

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    I'm well over 230 on my DFI as of right now.. i'm pushing my AMD fx55 from a 2.6 over a 3.5 right now and running very stable under a full load and around 45c!

I'm bumping it up a little every day and doing tests on it to see how high I can get.. I'd like to see it over 250 maybe pushing over a 4.0!
    is that prime 95 stable ?

nice board

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    is that prime 95 stable ?

negative! lol I pulled it back down as of today.. figured out that was my booting issue the computer was doing...wish the damn thing would talk to me!
    I didn't bump a few things along with the FSB so I pulled it back down to stock for a while.