Thread: built myself a new gamming rig.

built myself a new gamming rig.

This has been my project for the last couple of weeks, money and spair time were in short supply.

The NastySasky
    The NastySasky:
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz| eVGA X58 SLI | 12gigs Dominator XMS3 1600 | 2 ASUS ENGTX 470's | Intel X25 120Gig SSD + 2 WD Black 500's | Pioneer DVD/RW | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Antec 1000Watt | WarMachine M1 Case

Broke
    Looks good, tight squeeze. Hows the temps in the case?

Under heavy load (during long stints of HL2) cpu=45 to 50 chipset=50ish vid=54 to 56 case=30 to 32ish all in Celcius.
    The NastySasky:
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz| eVGA X58 SLI | 12gigs Dominator XMS3 1600 | 2 ASUS ENGTX 470's | Intel X25 120Gig SSD + 2 WD Black 500's | Pioneer DVD/RW | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Antec 1000Watt | WarMachine M1 Case

Question which any builder may be able to answer here.. I'm building a comp now I haven't really fooled with any newer stuff for like years prob since 1997. So what I'm wondering is when I get everything installed and flip the power on what am I to expect at this point on the screen? The bios screen perhaps asking me to set certain things up? I'm just not sure since I've the last computer I've built was back years ago and I'm running the same mobo you used. Going to have Dual DVD+everything drives exactly the same,the same raptor you used, 2gigs of ballistix, etc etc.

Thats a great job Rings! Looks good too! Im wishing I woulda got a raptor for my recent build.
    Hey Butt man. Usually the first time you boot up you want to hit the del key to get in the bios and "Load setup defaults". Then Tweak the bios the way your hardware needs and how you like it then go from there.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    Question which any builder may be able to answer here.. I'm building a comp now I haven't really fooled with any newer stuff for like years prob since 1997. So what I'm wondering is when I get everything installed and flip the power on what am I to expect at this point on the screen? The bios screen perhaps asking me to set certain things up? I'm just not sure since I've the last computer I've built was back years ago and I'm running the same mobo you used. Going to have Dual DVD+everything drives exactly the same,the same raptor you used, 2gigs of ballistix, etc etc.

the first thing i do is go into the bios and check the temps and voltages, then go through every page and set what i need to, read the manual a few times first to get an idea on what to look for.

Rings890, that sure does look like a tight squeeze, well done

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    So what I'm wondering is when I get everything installed and flip the power on what am I to expect at this point on the screen? The bios screen perhaps asking me to set certain things up? I'm just not sure since I've the last computer I've built was back years ago and I'm running the same mobo you used. Going to have Dual DVD+everything drives exactly the same,the same raptor you used, 2gigs of ballistix, etc etc.
    Thanks everyone, I had a lot of fun building this one, sometimes very frustrating though. worth it in the end.

When you first fire that bad boy up you will get the standard post beep, the lanparty default screen will appear, hit the "Delete" key to enter the BIOS. as allready stated check your system temps and if everything looks good go with the default BIOS values. I am sure as you have noticed the manual that comes with the LanParty nf4 SLI-DR is very lacking, I guess the idea was that this was an enthusiests board and we would know what we wanted. I think the only things I set was the boot order and I turned off the DFI logo at boot up. everything else I left at defaut. I am gona let it run for a month before I start messing with settings. Also use the orange ram slots if you are using dual channel memory, something about T1 vs T2 settings in memory allocations or something like that.
    Good luck & enjoy. these mobos FLY!
    The NastySasky:

Quote Originally Posted by Rings890
    Thanks everyone, I had a lot of fun building this one, sometimes very frustrating though. worth it in the end.

When you first fire that bad boy up you will get the standard post beep, the lanparty default screen will appear, hit the "Delete" key to enter the BIOS. as allready stated check your system temps and if everything looks good go with the default BIOS values. I am sure as you have noticed the manual that comes with the LanParty nf4 SLI-DR is very lacking, I guess the idea was that this was an enthusiests board and we would know what we wanted. I think the only things I set was the boot order and I turned off the DFI logo at boot up. everything else I left at defaut. I am gona let it run for a month before I start messing with settings. Also use the orange ram slots if you are using dual channel memory, something about T1 vs T2 settings in memory allocations or something like that.
    Good luck & enjoy. these mobos FLY!
    Ok thanks yall two.. I may call upon ya for some issue suggestions if I run into them.

TV Fanatic
    To me that is a nicest custom computer I have ever seen.. its so beautiful!

Very nice job, i'm always in awe when i see someone put so much effort and care when building a system, making sure things look nice along the way. makes me jealous b/c i just slap all my crap in any old case and try to fire it up as quickly as possbible. I really like the desktop case you chose too. I have been considering going back to a desktop case to save even more desk space and give me the added convienence of having everything right in front.

Beautiful, looks great.