Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: made a filtered side inlet duct for CPU

made a filtered side inlet duct for CPU

i had been using a side duct without a filter, but it allowed way too much dust into my case, so i made this.

still kinda ghetto looking but seems to work, will make a nicer looking version if this works good.

4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Broke
    Need to get a K&N for that puppy, and maybe a Fart Can exhaust....LOL

Good idea though
    My cases get so dusty its pathetic.
    Wonder how a small motorcycle cone filter would work???

the thing is i made a square duct, was the easiest way for me to do it.

with a K&N filter they need to be oiled, so i don't think that would go to well with a PC

maybe i will get some NOS stickers, they gotta be worth like 100Mhz each, right

Broke
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark

maybe i will get some NOS stickers, they gotta be worth like 100Mhz each, right
    Don't forget some bright yellow CD tray drawers, and extra 35 Mhz for each one from what I hear

ok newb question time..

What does that thing do air flow wise???

Is it a duct for air to enter through, pass by the CPU and then get blown out the back or via some other fans?
    For King And Country!

Quote Originally Posted by BlindPilot
    ok newb question time..

What does that thing do air flow wise???

Is it a duct for air to enter through, pass by the CPU and then get blown out the back or via some other fans?
    if you look closely at the first pic, there is a square duct bringing cool air into the heatsink, i just added a filter to control the dust buildup.

there is a 92mm fan in the back for exhaust, plus the power supply fan, the top blow hole is covered up and not running at this time, there are 2 more 92mm intake fans in front running off the fan controller for cooling the hard drives.

the temps seem about the same as without a filter, maybe 1 degree higher, i have a tornado fan on order, will see how that does.

just an update, i just got done installing a 92mm tornado fan in the duct , everyone is right, them suckers are loud @ full speed.

running it off my fan controller and had to drop the fan down to about 3000rpm to hear myself think, maybe i should just turn on the AC in my house instead, well in a few weeks i'm sure the AC will be cranking anyways.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    with a K&N filter they need to be oiled, so i don't think that would go to well with a PC
    Your concerns about the K&N are not valid, IMHO. The oil will never enter your computer; the slight sucking of that little fan and the large surface area of the filter assures that. Besides, for your application, I wouldn't even oil the filter anyway, I'd just take advantage of the better breathing of the cloth filter over the paper one you're now using, it makes a big difference in air flow.

The filter may come pre-oiled from the factory, but still, there's no way it would get into your computer. Hell, it doesn't do that even on my car, and I have a V8 sucking air through that thing!

So although Chris might have been joking with his suggestion, it really is a good one, and if I had your setup I would definitely do it, to maximize the CFM.

BTW, excellent mod!

a K&N filter costs way too much for something like this anyways, got to watch the budget

going to make a duct with a 120mm fan, this tornado fan is too annoying no matter what speed i run it at

k&n doesnt even act as a filter if its not oiled
    Dell XPS Gen 5,P4 3.2 With HT,1 GB pc3200 DDR Ram 512x2,NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256MB,SB Audigy 2 z5,160GB HD,19 LCD.....

Quote Originally Posted by syknesss
    k&n doesnt even act as a filter if its not oiled
    true, but i don't use this side panel anymore either.

I can fabricate some piping and we can pop a garrett ball bearing turbo on that baby, youll hit 13's in the quarter mile easily! oh wait...thats a computer.

looks cool, i remember when I did something like that back into my modding day

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Switching & Routing Nerd cchooper's Avatar
    sigh, I hate being the one to revive old threads, but I'm having the same problem with too much dust being allowed into my case, unfortunately I can't see your pictures, do you happen to have them hosted elsewhere so maybe I could take a look?
    Hacking router firmware since 2005

pictures fixed although i no longer use that side panel.

Silly but I read at [H]OC some guys used a dryer sheet to cover up the fan....little weary on trying that but who the hell knows

I never knew there was a TBI edition of the AMD athlons lol

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    Silly but I read at [H]OC some guys used a dryer sheet to cover up the fan....little weary on trying that but who the hell knows

yep, get scented was for mountain fresh scent. cheap store brand are good to let air in.

Switching & Routing Nerd cchooper's Avatar
    mm, I'll consider trying that ... I have a huge pile of dust in the bottom of my case now, WAS all over my video card and CPU cooler but I blew it off of there. I seriously need a vacuum ...

Pic of my side fan ...

Gross
    Hacking router firmware since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    yep, get scented was for mountain fresh scent. cheap store brand are good to let air in.

I think i'll bust out the Bounce tonight and give it a shot ...