Thread: n00b needs help with D-Link Router and allowing people to access LAN

n00b needs help with D-Link Router and allowing people to access LAN

I'm sorry if this is a really bad question, I do not really know too much about networking. My problem is that I need to allow people to connect to my LAN for a program. I have a D-Link 2.4 GHz Wireless Router (but I'm connected through a CAT5 cable). I went into the configuration and Virtual Sever to put my IP in and set up the ports to open for the program. The problem is, people still cannot connect to me.

When it says to type in my Private IP, that is the same IP I typed in my browser to get into the configuration, correct? Also, when I give my IP to someone to connect to the program, do I give them my Private IP, Public IP, or the IP the program gives me (which is different than my Public IP)? I tried all of them, but none worked.

Is there something else I should be doing to allow people to connect to my IP? I checked the built in firewall on the router configuration, but the ports seem to be open. I don't have a firewall on this computer. Also my computer runs on Windows 98 (if that matters).

Sorry if I used wrong terminology or whatnot, but hopefully someone understands what my problem is and can help me. Thanks.

Your PC's private IP is not the same IP you type in to get to your routers setup page. The routers IP is your default gateway. To get the IP of your windows 98 PC goto start => run => and type in winipcfg. The IP address listed there is your private IP handed out by the router's DHCP. You want to forward the ports to the Ip address of the PC, not the one for the router. If you setup a static IP for that PC you won't have to worry about the router changing it's (the PC's) IP address on a reboot or power down. Your private IP address can not be accessed from the WAN (Internet) side of the router. You give your public IP to the people you want to connect to you. The router then forwards it to the PC's private IP.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

Find your routers public IP many different ways, such as some status section of your routers web admin, or by going to some website like www.whatismyip.com or many websites such as Speedguide.Net who have a port scanner utility.
    http://www.speedguide.net/networktools.php
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

This little utility will display it all for you. Whoami It's a nice quick check when you have connection problems.

Thanks for your help, I figured out the problem. I downloaded the latest Firmware for my router and that fixed it.