Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A MODERATOR PROPOSAL

Post A MODERATOR PROPOSAL

I haven't yet talked this over with the other moderators and the Admin, but I was wondering what the general consensus here was vis-a-vis the "How do I uncap my cable modem?" Type questions.

It's getting terribly annoying, and wasting space, and I for one, would be glad to just start deleting them offhand.

(Note that the current thread of choice around here doesn't ask that question, but rather makes a statement that it has been done (whether you think it's real or not))

I'd not delete posts where it was a legitimate part of the discussion, but only the spammish type repetitive posts that are starting to show up.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

------------------
    "Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

DIDS

Talking

I would be happy to see that. DELETE away.

------------------

It Can't Rain All The Time
    - Eric Draven (The Crow)

-------------------------

dan2525

For God's sake come up with some sort of generic reply or whatever and stop the madness!

Kip Patterson

May I suggest:

1) Delete all topics and posts of an inappropriate nature, including inappropriate language, way off topic, personal insults. Except in flagrant situations, note that they will be removed, then do so after one day so there is some pbulic control over what may be perceived as censorship.

2) You'll need a policy.

3) Please do so!

Ikarus

I think you should just write a Post guidelines faq and mention uncapping and post it on the main page a big button along the top. Also make it known whenever someone tries to register a UBB user right away that these types of posts will be deleted in nice big red letters. That way everyone gets a read knowing NOT to post those types of questions or they will be deleted.

------------------
    Alladvantage - Make money surfin the web
    http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=fwp860

[This message has been edited by Ikarus (edited 07-13-2000).]

Just do what you guys think is best.

I think we should write up a generic paragraph explaing the do's and dont's of uncapping and that it is not tolerated on this board.

Then when we see a post about uncapping we just simply cut and paste the paragraph in a reply post to the thread and just Close the thread.

Deleting kinda pisses people off alot, we need to explain to people who don't know our rules as to why we are closing the thread, that paragraph we write will do just that.

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 07-13-2000).]

Rookie

Cool

let'er rip bouncer...it's an interesting discussion but i agree with your type of approach for these type of issues.

rookie

fanta

I agree with Brent's idea. Put in the generic reply regarding speedguide.net policy and close the thread. Case Closed!

martialcomp

Talking

Brent and Bouncer have the right idea. The kind of posts lately have been a waste of bandwidth and storage space on the server.
    I am all for getting more speed, and would love to see upstream rates of at least 256 kilo bits per second across the board for cable/dsl systems. But, the uncapping claims of recent have been ridiculous.

Delete !

glc1

I also agree w/Brent 100%

see that way other people might read those closed threads and keep seeing our paragraph we post and that might deter them from posting about uncapping

Chastan

I know that with UBB you can make announcements that appear at the top of the page in big letters that you can click on. Just make it say "Uncapping information" and then when they click on it they can get the harsh words!

Zporttech

Bouncer,

Go for it, delete away. I still don`t know what the big deal is anyway, it is illegal (so I here)and besides, for those of us fortunate enough to have high speed access why complain? Have we forgotten the good old days of phone lines and a 28800 connection speed? You remember those downloads, start them, go cut the grass, wash the car and when you get back (if you weren`t disconnected) you still have several hours of downloading left!!!!!

------------------
    Steve
    www.zport.com

dan2525

you might also want to throw in a quick bits 'n bytes conversion chart.

dan2525

...talking about wasted space and all.

chacmool

"...might read closed threads...."

Good idea, then delete it after ~one week. More will come, more will be closed & more will be deleted.

Sooner or later....

dannjr

IT's out of hand. Way out in left past the foul line. If we need info, or have info, isn't this what it's all about.
    This reminds me about an artical I read about hackers the only reason they do it is because their board. and they fall in the 18 to 24 year old group un-______ and un-______. I'm sorry. think of the space/band width & sanity Delete away.
    Great board thanks
    Dan

freakyboy

i don't think every post regarding uncapping should be deleted. for instance, if it's a post regarding the ethical nature of uncapping (ie. is it legal or not), maybe it should be moved to the "general discussion" section of this board. since this board does not condone "how-to/can-it-be-done" post regarding uncapping due to its respectful view point on the legality of uncapping, then yes, delete it.

what ever you decide is cool. one thing is for certain - so far the moderators have done a great job of maintaining this board - thanks.

fb