Thread: Connection keeps dropping

Question Connection keeps dropping

I have a D-Link DI-524 wireless router connected (wired) to my desktop PC. Every so often I get a dropped connection (especially when d/l'ing large files). I know this would happen with when connecting wirelessly but wired???

I unplug/disconnect the power to the router when I'm not using it but leave my DSL modem on. Could this contribute to the problem in any way?

Time for a new router??

Why unplug it?

Do you have the latest firmware?

Is it well ventilated where it is located?

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52
    Why unplug it?

Do you have the latest firmware?

Is it well ventilated where it is located?

I unplug it because it doesn't have an on/off switch and was told whenever it's not in use to turn it off.

Yes it has the latest firmware and is located on the side of my computer desk where there are no obstructions. So there is plenty of ventilation where it's at.

There is no need to unplug it, besides you most likely have a PPPoE DSL connection so leaving it on will keep your connection alive so your antivirus can auto update and such. Also make sure you have that wireless secure.... if you aren't using the wireless then disable the radio broadcast, if you are using it use WPA encryption.

Ok, eventho I leave it on, I still get dropped connections

I also forgot to mention that the unit is referbished and is VERY close to my cordless 2.4GHz phone. Could these be the problem(s)?? I could see the referbished part contributing to it but since the wireless router is directly connected to the desktop, the proximity of the cordless phone should have no bearing on it.

Yes the phone could be the issue. Is the router restarting or is your pc dropping the connection?

The PC is just dropping the connection and then re-aquiring it. That damn info bubble that XP has keeps popping up as a notification

But like I said, how can the phone affect it since it's connected to the DSL modem via ethernet cable?

I apologize, I thought it was a wireless issue..... you are posting in the wireless forum .

Try disabling the wireless radio and this could be unrelated to the router, it could be a malware issue. Have you scanned with Ad-aware, SpyBot and your antivirus program?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Can you try swapping out another patch cable? Perhaps the patch cable is bad.

Or is your router located right next to something that gives off strong interference...such as sitting on top of a subwoofer or something? Flourescent light close to anything? Also consider what your patch cable is next to.

Next time you see it happen (the network disconnect popup in your systray) quickly glance over at your router, see if the lights are going through a reboot sequence.

I've not seen a cordless phone interfere with a wired LAN connection, but...perhaps, if say the base set is right next to your router?

Same goes for your DSL modem (being nearby something causing interference)...and the "health" of the lines coming into your house..all the way up to the wall jack that your DSL modem is plugged into.

You say DSL, assuming it's a PPPoE connection, is MTU set to 1492 on the router?

If you're not using the wireless part of your router, does this model allow you to disable the wireless part of it? Just to rule that out as a possible cause.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

hi, i have the same problem, whenever the router is off* the power off
    then when its bak up on, i suppose i need to reset it since it wouldnt work when i start my comp n try to access the internet
    most of the time i get a drop every 30mins
    but however sometimes i'm like because it doesnt drop whenever 2 or more comps r on n connected. my system is winxp sp1 home and 1 more thing, whenever my harddrive space reaches 73gb or lower it disconnects me. therefore i wouldnt have so much space to store info and others. my harddrive is 120gb of total. thanks in advance and for reading this
    i need to solve the problem asap
    n i also tried intalling sp2 but no use