Thread: How do I find my correct RWIN numbers using that mathematical equation?

velvta

Post How do I find my correct RWIN numbers using that mathematical equation?

I saw how the RWIN has to be a multiple of your mss. Well, I saw the formula on how to do it, but I really doin't understand the how and why of it all, and I don't understand how to do it on the calculator in windows. Say my mss is 1456. How do I go about finding what numbers would be good possible RWIN settings? Please try and be clear, I am not the best at math, and if you can tell me the keys to do it with on the windows calc in accessories, I'd appreciate it.

velvta

please anyone , c'mon...You all know how to do it,I see you all posting this stuff, just be a sweetheart and tell me.

C.M. Weaver

dannjr

Ya I already see a problem with this site this statement "I do not recommend manually setting any of these settings. Windows 2000 does a magnificent job of determining MTU, MSS, RWIN and TTL on its own.

Originally posted by C.M. Weaver:
    go here http://www.optimizing.net/

------------------
    THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOKS: THINGS I WOULD NOT DO FOR MONEY - by Dennis Rodman
    Chicago Microsystems
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Speedguide has a great search engine

velvta

I went ot hat site, and it didnt help me out much with the RWIN.

All I'm looking for is howto find the multiples of numbers to test that can possibly make a diference depending on your mtu, which is 1496 in my case.

Also, that site says that mss doesn't need to be set on 98 because it only works on nt?

dannjr

velvta
    I a should have wrote that if you really want to set it quick take your MTU -40 = in your case 1456 * 256 = 372736 thats the general fast way of doing it.
    I have found that this has worked just as good as going the long math way, As long as Scaling is on you'll be fine.
    Keep this also in mind I have seen it higher than 500000 and work good because the connection could handle it.

------------------
    THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOKS: THINGS I WOULD NOT DO FOR MONEY - by Dennis Rodman
    Chicago Microsystems
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Speedguide has a great search engine

velvta

OK, thanks dann, and by the way, I found somewhere on here I think it is that if you take the MSS, and times it by 44, then hit =, then hit +, and keep hitting =, you will keep getting a multiple over and over. I'm not good at math, so sorry if this is old news to anyone