Thread: TCP Optimizer not working

TCP Optimizer not working

I'm on a 3.0gig DSL connection. I am not noticing any better downloads than when I was using 512mb DSL. Every download averages around 60 kbps. TCP Optiimizer is not setting my MTU to 1500 (yes I am rebooting). I monitor my network performance through CTRL+ALT+DEL and barely get over .50% (yes there is a decimal there). This computer is a 1.1 gig processor with 512megs RAM. I'll provide any more PC info needed for someone to help me diagnose and fix this. And many thanks for your efforts. Also just minutes ago I redownloaded the TCPOptimizer program and had a speed of 300kbps throughout the download which was very impressive, however I cannot repeat that speed.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    who is you dsl provider what is the advertised speed you are paying for on the line just to make sure i'm understanding you coreectly.

take a tcpip analyzer cut and paste everything below ip infomratio in a new reply.
    Comptia a+ n+

Quote Originally Posted by aoaudio
    I'm on a 3.0gig DSL connection. I am not noticing any better downloads than when I was using 512mb DSL. Every download averages around 60 kbps. TCP Optiimizer is not setting my MTU to 1500 (yes I am rebooting). I monitor my network performance through CTRL+ALT+DEL and barely get over .50% (yes there is a decimal there). This computer is a 1.1 gig processor with 512megs RAM. I'll provide any more PC info needed for someone to help me diagnose and fix this. And many thanks for your efforts. Also just minutes ago I redownloaded the TCPOptimizer program and had a speed of 300kbps throughout the download which was very impressive, however I cannot repeat that speed.
    theres still ppl like me who have no other options but a 24kps on 56k dialup, so y u complaining, go back with to ur 512, be happy and think bout poor me loading a page at 24kps, tcp opitimizer does absolutly nothing for me either

Analyzer Settings

MTU = 1440
    MTU is not fully optimized for broadband. Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for better throughput.
    MSS = 1400
    MSS is not fully optimized for broadband (although it might work well for slower connections). Consider increasing your MTU value.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 515200
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 3 bits (scale factor of 6)
    Unscaled Receive Window = 64400

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    257600 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 4)
    128800 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 2)
    64400 (MSS x 46)
    bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 20608 kbps (2576 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 8243.2 kbps (1030.4 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = OFF
    Time to live left = 114 hops

TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

Grrrrr

OK, my advertised speed is still 512. Apparently the order I put in to raise it to 3.0 MEGS (not Gigs, as i had previously thought, d'oh!) never happened. dcypher, I have managed to raise my receive window to 515200 by clicking "custom settings", so maybe TCPOptimizer will actually increase your speed if you raise your receive window. Raising the Receive Window has actually brought my speed up to 300-400Kbps which I am very satisfied with when the advertised speed is 512. In five days or so the switch should be occuring that will raise my speed to an advertised 1.5-3.0 Mbps (minimum speed should never be below 1.5 regardless of my computer settings, so they say). So it looks like my question posted about my speed problems was largely due in part to SPRINT (my ISP), and will shortly be fixed. On the other hand, when the change happens to the faster speed, I *would* like to get close to my max, just for ****s and grins. dcypher, for the price of AOL, or slightly higher, you could join us on the Broad-Band-Wagon.

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=204 read this and change ur mtu to 1492 take another analyzer test you rwin is way to high for any dsl connection but we need mtu fixed first and don't be thrown by the name sprint puts there name on the zyxel modems.
    Comptia a+ n+

Thanx mccoffee for your interest in helping. I read that little page, and did what was suggested. MTU did not change. What is this "cablenut" program? BTW I would like to reiterate that I am now running at 300+ Kbps where I used to run at 60 Kbps, a result of raising the RWin to what you describe as "way too high for ... DSL." I am happy with the results. Would you please explain to me why such a high number is "bad"?

basically you would be creating a bottle neck with you connection with dsl you want to use lower rwins due the latency on the line is lower it's bandwith * dealy/ mss

what widnows version you have also reboot see if it changes.
    Comptia a+ n+

I just re-ran TCPOptimizer. Usually, when i was trying to use it's presets, i was just clicking the "DSL" and "Optimize" buttons. This morning I clicked "DSL (PPoE)" and "Optimize" buttons, then rebooted. I have 200kbps more than when I used custom settings and raised the RWin. On my 512 line, I got 512. ****ing sweet, it has never been so fast. Can't wait for that upgrade to kick in this week.