Thread: Ethernet takes a long time to work.

Ethernet takes a long time to work.

I just got DSL the other day. When I connect using Ethernet it says I am connected but nothing online will load. This includes MSN IM, Yahoo IM, Internet Explorer, and so on. It is as if I am stuck behind a firewall even when I disbale it. I can get ping results and so on through the CMD Prompt, but that's all that will work. The strange thing is everything will start working fine later on. It takes 10 minutes or more sometimes before I can get any web pages to start loading. After things load, such as Internet Explorer, it will continue to work with no problems until I restart my computer. After I restart my computer I have the same problems with not being able to get anything on the internet to work for a long time.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this problem? It seems strange that it won't work for a while but then all of a sudden I can load webpages and so on.

I am using Windows XP Pro. My network adaptar is Intel Pro/1000 MT.
    Last edited by fett42; 04-21-05 at 01:51 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Well, lets examine what you have in more detail

What type of broadband connection? What equipment between your computer and your connection?

How healthy is your computer? Good up to date antivirus program
    Windows updates current?
    Computer free from ad/spy/malware?

Install some 3rd party browser/login software from your ISP?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I'm using a DSL modem that has both a USB port and a Ethernet port, either one can be used. The DSL modem is a SpeedStream. It was provided by the phone company. The hookup involves a DSL filter plugged into the phone jack. The DSL modem is plugged into the filter. The DSL modem is hooked directly into the network adaptar via Cat5.

My computer is healthy. Freshly defragmented and the antivirus is always uo to date.

I have all of the newest Windows updates that are available for me.

I have several spyware scanners and use them often.

I didn't install any login or browser stuff from my ISP. They didn't provide me with anything.

I will add that the USB used to be able to get to website right after a restart without any problems. It is just that now I can't seem to get plug and play to pick up the USB from the modem. I think either the USB port or the USB cable are bad. Even when that worked the Ethernet had the same problems it is having now. I can get to websites but it just takes a long time.

Earlier today it took me 30 minutes to an hour to get anything to finally load on the internet. For some reason things loaded up right away after I opened RealArcade and it connected to the internet.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Switch it back to ethernet and try this

I'm assuming it's the 5100 model my buddies did the same thing try what it said below.

First connect your dsl then goto start run type cmd in the command prompt type ip config /all write down what it saids for dns servers

goto control panel my network places double click you locat are network connection highlight tcpip and then propertes

click use the following ip and enter thease numbers

ip address 192.168.0.2
    default gateway 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0

dns servers enter the numbers you wrote down
    Comptia a+ n+

That didn't seem to help. I changed the IP address to my own and it worked after a couple tries. I am going to have to test it again with whatever the current IP address is to see if I can get it running again using what you said.

It seems like the fastest way to get it to work is to open RealArcade and let it connect to the internet. That seems to get everything running for some reason.

Thank you so far for the help and replies. I really appreciate it.

what model number of modem do you have
    Comptia a+ n+

It looks like model 5200. I'm still having the same problem. I can't get on the interent, i.e. websites, until after I run RealOne Arcade. After that I can get everything to work just find. After installing the new windows update, the .NET Framework and the security update to go with it, I am having trouble getting online with even the RealOne Arcade trick. That is for now, I only restarted once so perhaps it will be ok from now on. Well ok as in back to being able to get online after running RealOne Arcade.

Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

http://192.168.254.254/ go here and put the modem in bridge mode
    Comptia a+ n+

Quote Originally Posted by mccoffee
    http://192.168.254.254/ go here and put the modem in bridge mode
    I am assuming you actually wanted me to go to that link. In which case I can't because it says "page can not be displayed".

you need adobe acrobat reader which is at www.adobe.com this the manual it will walk you though it so you can use bridge mode.
    http://kb.efficient.com/utility/getfile.asp?rid=4810
    Comptia a+ n+

When I type my IP address or http://speedstream in my browser bar nothing comes up to edit my modem settings like the manual claims it should. Is there supposed to be software included with my modem? If so then I wasn't given any.

it's like what i said there was like a few versions of that modem there should be tag with the whole model number on it might hep me out more or you can do a google on it see what you come up with
    Comptia a+ n+

I found a new post about the 5100, the model under my 5200, and it had a link to this site:

http://subscriber.communications.sie...orks/faq.shtml

I went there and it had information about the web management interface. According to that if you can't access the web management interface then the modem is already set to bridge mode.

So my modem is already set for bridge mode.

Thank you for the help so far. Do you have any other suggestions? My ISP hasn't been able to give me any help as of yet.

*eidt*

It seems that I might have fixed the problem myself, although I'm not 100% sure yet. I enabled a setting I disabled in the administrative services back when I only had 56K. That seemed to fixed the problem after one restart yesterday. Today I had trouble getting on the internet I thought. However I now think it was the website I was attempting to connect to. If I have further problems and need any other advice I'll let you know. Thank you again for the links and trying to help out. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by fett42; 05-29-05 at 08:26 AM.