Thread: Need opinions: Best router available for these purposes.

Need opinions: Best router available for these purposes.

Hey,

What I am looking for is a rock solid router with as much configuration as possible and good firewall options. I want a router that DOES NOT need to be reset. I have heard good things about Zyxel but I am just curious as to what you would tell me to buy for the most solid and configurable router possible.

Thanks,

Dave

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Cisco PIX
    Sonicwall
    Not knowing your budget...as those can get above the budget of many peeps...

What specific feature are you looking for?

Now, in the midrange area....I'm VERY impressed with the relatively new RV0 series from Linksys/Cisco. One of the advertised qualities is "High Availability". However, even the little 4 port model is still above some peoples budget (8 and 16 port models available) Switch for the LAN side is a managed switch too. And comes with a VPN client so you can connect to your LAN from the road or elsewhere.

Of the "under 100 dollar home market"...my favorite router is the Linksys BEFSX41 models. Note....it's not the cheap BEFSR models...but SX. Huge difference in processor and operating system. One note though, the shipping firmware for the past 6 months has had a few buggy versions, the most stable IMO is the older 1.45.7, some people are liking the 1.51. But other 1.5X variants...

What router do you have now? Is it locking up?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks Brian,

I currently have a D-Link and am sick to death of hang-ups and poor configuration. My primary concern is to have a good router, just like my computer, i will get what I pay for so I am willing to fork out the cash for a router.

As far as specific features nothing extreme simply standard NAT, firewall, and a lot of configurability. Port wise, I don't really know. I am going to be using my d-link as the wap and use the good router as the main plug in.

Chances are I will only be runing about 3 - 4 computers off the device, but if I need an 8 or 16 porter to get the quality I demand, then that's what I will buy.

Your help is much appreciated,

Dave

I'm guessing you've tried firmware upgrades on your current DLink? Much as I disliked the brand before...like a few years ago, I will admit that DLink has gotten better at making some decent products lately over the past year or two. For the average home user, they're usually OK.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

My main gripe is actually lack of configurability... I would like to somehow be able to pass-through local network traffic (as in file sharing) because I am in a residence... otherwise I suffer from switching cables accross all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Massa
    I would like to somehow be able to pass-through local network traffic (as in file sharing) because I am in a residence... otherwise I suffer from switching cables accross all the time.
    Can you expand on this? You wish to allow Microsoft Networking to pass through?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yes i know this sounds stupid beyond belief... but i wish i could temporarily allow microsoft networking to the network external to the router eg::

University LAN ------ Router ------ My computer | i want:University LAN ---My PC

being the setup right now. I know that is a security hole.. so I would want to be able to turn it on temporarily. I assume its not possible??

Thanks,

Dave

SG Enthusiast
    You'd be better off running an ftp server on your box and forwarding the ports - ftp is insecure, windows netbios file sharing is akin to smoking while filling you gas tank.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    windows netbios file sharing is akin to smoking while filling you gas tank.

Get a VPN setup between you and the office. Then you're pretty much right on your work network.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah... sounds like a plan. Thanks for your replies guys! Much appreciated
    Dave

Look at a SonicWall TZ-170 wireless. Simply the most "configurable" device I've ever seen. You can granularly control any portion of traffic you want, to/from any PC you want. Also, it offer's a "work data port" that allows a single PC to be configured as segregated from the internal local network, as a soul device for VPN access for instance. Also, the wireless lan is a completely seperate network address space, (ie: 192.168.1.x LAN; 172.16.31.x W-LAN ). Also, you can enable Wireless Guest Services. WGS allows casual wireless clients to connect and utilize your internet gateway as guest. No access to the LAN or any other form of traffic, but internet access only via the wireless gateway. You can either allow anyone, or utilize a myriad of authentication methods. One way is to set them up as a WGS user, with a username and password. Their homepage will then be automatically redirected when they connect to the WLAN, and they will be prompted for the UN/PW you provided. If correct, they connect. If not, they're blocked. You can also set the duration of WGS sessions individually.

I am really high on these devices- and the power is impressive. The TZ170 is a B/G device, and the range surpasses anything I've ever seen in SOHO equipment.

The only downside?? These aren't your basic Wal-Mart or BestBuy devices- they retail around $ 575.00
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..