Thread: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD: Diesel Hits the Little Dude

Blog Entries

Thumbs up 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD: Diesel Hits the Little Dude

Hi to All

About time imho. This is where Diesel is needed.
    ~~~~~

Model year 2005 finds the Liberty with a new engine option, the 2.8-litre Common Rail Diesel (CRD) inline four-cylinder engine.

This makes the Liberty the only compact SUV in North America to be offered with a diesel engine. Consumers choosing the CRD-equipped Liberty over its gasoline-fired brethren are currently limited to a five-speed automatic (with overdrive) as their only transmission choice, but a six-speed manual unit may soon be offered if there's enough demand.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...iberty_crd.htm

--

regards

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    "stump-pulling 295 lb-ft of torque (at a mere 1,800 rpm)" with the 6 spd manual...just might convince me to trade my 3.7L petro Liberty in for one of these.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Broke
    $3195 dollar option, puts base price for the diesel up around $36,000 here in Canada...But, I hope it opens the door for others to step up to the plate and offer diesel in downsized vehicals.

If I could afford on, I would get one, It just makes sence

Blog Entries
    Hi YeOldeStonecat & Chris

YeOldeStonecat
    Tons of torque and not too bad on HP either. The whole Pkg. makes sense to me. Your obviously happy with yours YOSC, which speaks well for the new one.

--

Chris
    I do agree Chris. I've been asking why they haven't done this before for years. Rangers, Mazda(same thing really) and other small 1/2 Tons are a prime candidate for them. Up the reliability and mileage for them. Makes sense personally and for Fleets running them for Deliveries etc.

Seems like a very nice Pkg. to me too.

Diesel to me is the future imho. No added expense like the Hybrids they are hyping and also the Mileage of say a VW Golf Diesel in a Car is far better than most Hybrids out now as well. The technology is proven and available now.

When we get the cleaner Diesel Fuel that they sell in Europe it will be just one more reason to abandon Gas imho.

--

Thanks Fellas and have a fine day

regards

minir

Broke
    Quote Originally Posted by minir
    I've been asking why they haven't done this before for years. Rangers, Mazda(same thing really) and other small 1/2 Tons are a prime candidate for them. Up the reliability and mileage for them. Makes sense personally and for Fleets running them for Deliveries etc.

regards

minir
    I think the big reason is profit.
    If they offer the deisel in small trucks, there goes most of the incentive to buy a $60,000 dollar full size, except for the Contractors that really need them. And we all know the profit margin is much much better on the Full Size truck, Both cost about the same to produce, one sells for $20,000, the other sells for $60,000, I would have gladly payed the extra $3000 to get my Ranger in a 2.8 Turbo Diesel that is offered in every country EXCEPT Canada and the USA,
    Heck, even Mexico has a Diesel Ranger

*cringes at thought of fuel system maintainence costs*

I'd love a Merc with a turbo diesel for trips, I just wanna see how well this high-pressure common rail holds up to time. No point in a diesel IMO unless it lasts till the second comming.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

There we go, a nice diesel! *puts propane injection on it*

Blog Entries
    Hi Chris & brembo

Chris
    When i bought the Truck prior to this one i asked them about Diesel and they just didn't think it was a good idea. We discussed the Pros and Cons and they still didn't get it.

All kinds of them are sold for light Duty Delivery Vehicles and for ease of maneuvering in Cities etc. Lets hope that This Mfg. stirs the pot a little and causes a re-think.

Your absolutely right in what you suggest. Hell i remember a New Ford 1/2 Ton for $1990.00 when Cars were $2800. Now Trucks are pricier than Cars. Huge profits are being made.

They also do not adhere to the same Crash worthiness as Cars either. It took them years to include Side Beams in the Doors for goodness sake. Rollover is not even considered. They should have to make the Cab Roofs much more Crush Proof, but do nothing.

--

brembo
    They have been Tested in Europe and other places for sometime now brembo. No innate problems i know of.

As to reasons for being. Longevity. You should expect 1/2 Million Miles from the Motor. Less Parts involved for Tuneups etc. Superior Mileage and less particulate damage with the Newer Fuels.

With the advent of more people buying Diesel then the Cost should drop as well, which is one of the biggest drawbacks when purchasing.

Years ago it really didn't make sense to go Diesel unless you where a Trucking Company or Cab Operator. Things are a changing though and to me the overall running costs of Diesel outstrips the unknown of the new Hybrids they are pushing.

Hybrids require 2 Motors. 1 Electric and one Gas or Diesel. The other parts required to operate them simply will make them more complex and thus costlier to operate long term imho.

The Euro's have been taking advantage of Diesel for years, time we caught up imho.

--

Thanks Fellas & do enjoy your day

--

regards

minir

Blog Entries
    Hi wee

Some of the newer Cars using Diesel are getting lots of performance due to the Torque generated.

The newer ones have eliminated the startup time and the overall noise level has been dramatically reduced as well. All the old so called problems with Diesel ownership are pretty much history now.

Reasonable performance at a reasonable Cost will be the future imho. When prices for Gas start coinciding with True World Pricing in th USA, minds will be forever changed.

As they say, it like most things doesn't effect the wealthy, but it sure impacts the average Guy and Businesses. Get the Cost of manufacturing a Diesel Vehicle down and they will sell imho.

--

Thanks wee and have a wonderful day

--

regards

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by minir
    Your obviously happy with yours YOSC,
    I must admit I do like it. I didn't like them at first, but it sure grew on me.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Minir-

I know diesels, my dad had a hard-on for em before they were widely available for the consumer market. He got a Chevy "Scotsdale" pickup that had the most cantankeous diesel known to mankind. I dunno how many times my smallish hands were required to help with the injectors and fueling systems. I could reach places he had no hope of ever being able to touch. That truck got a small block 350 swap around the time my hands got bigger than his...go figure

I like diesels alot, superior efficiency, burn cleaner and are built better. Require fewer sensors(in most cases) and just run forever. However, prices for diesel will go up more quickly as diesel fuel is actually closer to light-sweet than gasoline. Granted gas requires more refining and such but in the end more crude is required for the same amount of diesel vs. gas. With barrel prices creeping towards the century mark thats a bit spooky(screwed either way really...thanks Exxon).
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Blog Entries
    Hi YeOldeStonecat

Glad to hear that YOSC.

I've been driving little 1/2 Tons for years now and love them. When i worked i always drove either a very Hot Car or a Luxury Liner. Liked 1/2 Tons back then too, just weren't practical for my usage at that time though. Now Yep!

I'd love to have a Diesel for many reasons. As long as you do due diligence on your Oil and Filter changes, not a problem as far as i know. Extremely cold Weather can be a challenge but that isn't too bad either really.

Thanks YOSC nice to see a Happy Purchaser as opposed to a Grumpy Gus regretting their purchase.

--

regards

minir

Blog Entries
    Hi brembo

Those first efforts by the Big Three were a disaster Eh! brembo.

As to the cost of Diesel i think that it will probably remain less than Gas and with the overall operating costs being less for Diesel i'm convinced its the future.

Vehicle ownership of any kind will become a burden for many as time goes on. When i was a Kid my Father had one of the First New Cars on the Block. A 49 Merc.

People back then took Public Transit or walked and biked to work. The Suburbs were the biggest reason for Vehicle ownership. What a disaster they have proven to be. Cosseted away from all amenities one needs to drive 5 miles to get to a Corner Store.

We must get back to days of old when Houses and Communities were built around the Factories and Work Places to allow ease of getting to and from their Jobs.

Better Public Transit is a must to wean people from ownership as well.

There is a resurgence of Older People in particular, but many younger couples as well, moving back into the downtown cores of Cities and eliminating the need for Cars etc. Their costs savings are enough to justify the higher prices of home and Apts there and their stress levels lowered by not having to compete on Hwys each day.

Time to re-think our way of living and Diesel is no doubt one i'm sure.

Glad you have fond memories of working with your Dad. Good or bad they make great memories

--

regards

minir