Thread: No delays in birth control prescriptions

No delays in birth control prescriptions

Illinois governor: No delays in birth control prescriptions
    Friday, April 1, 2005 Posted: 7:29 PM EST (0029 GMT)
    CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Gov. Rod Blagojevich approved an emergency rule Friday requiring pharmacies to fill birth control prescriptions quickly after a Chicago pharmacist refused to fill an order because of moral opposition to the drug.

The emergency rule takes effect immediately for 150 days while the administration seeks a permanent rule.

"Our regulation says that if a woman goes to a pharmacy with a prescription for birth control, the pharmacy or the pharmacist is not allowed to discriminate or to choose who he sells it to," Blagojevich said. "No delays. No hassles. No lectures."

Under the new rule, if a pharmacist does not fill the prescription because of a moral objection, another pharmacist must be available to fill it without delay.

The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation has also filed a formal complaint against the Chicago Osco pharmacy for the February 23 incident.

The pharmacy was cited for "failing to provide appropriate pharmaceutical care to a patient." Penalties could include a fine, reprimand or revocation of the pharmacy's license.

An Osco spokeswoman did not immediately return a call Friday.

Steve Trombley, CEO for Planned Parenthood in Chicago, praised the state's efforts.

"When medical professionals write prescriptions for their patients, they are acting in their patients' best interests," Trombley said. "A pharmacist's personal views cannot intrude on the relationship between a woman and her doctor."

The Chicago pharmacist was not the first to attract attention for refusing to fill a birth control prescription.

In February, a judge recommended that a Roman Catholic pharmacist in Wisconsin be reprimanded and required to attend ethics classes after the pharmacist blocked a woman's attempt to fill a prescription for birth control pills in 2002.
    source

While I dislike government intervention. I think this is a great 'rule', that should be made permanent as a law, in one way or another...
    Last edited by BaLa; 04-02-05 at 02:11 AM.

Thats great news! Finally some common sense and common decency towards people. Its a shame it had to be forced.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Friggin' A!!!

If the Pharmachist don't like the ruling they could always apply for a job as a store at Wal-Mart

Now excuse me while I head out and stock up on the morining after pill.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff
    Now excuse me while I head out and stock up on the morining after pill.
    What do you need that for?????? You told me you were on the pill to begin with!!!
    Damnit, I don't wanna be a baby daddy!

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastchevy
    What do you need that for?????? You told me you were on the pill to begin with!!!
    Damnit, I don't wanna be a baby daddy!
    It's not for me brother. It's for the girls.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<