Thread: Micron vs. Kingston PC3200 RAM - Any difference?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

Micron vs. Kingston PC3200 RAM - Any difference?

At my local store I can get 512 MB PC3200 Kingston RAM for $65 or 512 MB PC3200 of Micron RAM for $90. If I am not overclocking the machine or anything like that, will I see any difference at all if I buy the cheaper Kingston RAM? By the way, I count any difference of less than 2% as no difference.

both are fine manufacturers. simply check the cas latency on both and pickup whichever is lower (the goal is 2 at pc3200)

check latency and make sure they have a lifetime warranty.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah...quality.

I'd take Micron/Crucial any day...it's pretty much the only brand I'd pay for. If you want crazy overclocking...Crucials Ballistix line.

Kingston...couldn't pay me to use it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

A small difference in latency will not be noticeable to the end user in a non-overclocked environment. From a technical standpoint, however, you guys are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Yeah...quality.

I'd take Micron/Crucial any day...it's pretty much the only brand I'd pay for. If you want crazy overclocking...Crucials Ballistix line.

Kingston...couldn't pay me to use it.
    That's a pretty bold statement about Kingston, since they have a good reputation. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost
    That's a pretty bold statement about Kingston, since they have a good reputation. What happened?

Kingston is like name brand generic LOL

Same as PNY.

IMO they never had a good reputation...always an entry level brand to me, right next to PNY and stuff like that. See them in bargain catalogs such as Tigersystems, etc. Can't tell you how many Kingston sticks I've tossed in the trash for being faulty. Same level as Maxtor HDs.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hehe 2 opposite answers. StonerCat seems to have a lot of experience so I trust him. I've also noticed from personal experience that Maxtor drives are crap. Maxtor drives are cheaper than other brands, so is Kingston. You get what you pay for is the lesson I guess.

I'd be interested to know more about the CAS latency and it's effect on performance. I would have thought that only skipping 2 cycles instead of 3 would be huge for performance. Wouldn't it make the memory react 33% faster if it was CAS 2? If you were maxing out bandwidth I don't think it would matter though.

IMO they never had a good reputation...always an entry level brand to me, right next to PNY and stuff like that. See them in bargain catalogs such as Tigersystems, etc. Can't tell you how many Kingston sticks I've tossed in the trash for being faulty. Same level as Maxtor HDs.
    Yet you seem to love Linksys routers

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    Yet you seem to love Linksys routers
    For the "Under 100 dollar market"...yup. Not everyone can spend 400 bucks on a PIX501 or Sonicwall TZO. Ya know? Yet Crucial memory is usually equal in price to "off the shelf" brands, or even less expensive because you can purchase direct instead of padding the wallets of 2 tiers of wholesalers/retails, why not?

How many hundreds of routers and sticks of RAM, including pretty much every brand, have gone through my hands to form that opinion?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

For the "Under 100 dollar market"...yup. Not everyone can spend 400 bucks on a PIX501 or Sonicwall TZO. Ya know? Yet Crucial memory is usually equal in price to "off the shelf" brands, or even less expensive because you can purchase direct instead of padding the wallets of 2 tiers of wholesalers/retails, why not?

How many hundreds of routers and sticks of RAM, including pretty much every brand, have gone through my hands to form that opinion?
    This is a somewhat narrow opinion in that Crucial only does the free shipping thing to the USA. So when I ask the question in the context of non-USA locations I think it's fair to say that PC3200 RAM prices for Micron/Crucial are different than some of the "entry level" brand names. The price to ship it is $13 U.S for a $50 stick of ram for christ sake it's ridiculous considering it's free in the USA. Give us the option to ship it for free and take 5 days, why only offer fast expensive shipping outside the US?

Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy
    This is a somewhat narrow opinion in that Crucial only does the free shipping thing to the USA.
    And if you purchase it through other venders who do their own shipping? ///shrug/// 15 bucks for shipping something as important to memory wouldn't sway me. If some no-name memory was sold by the local mom and pop clone shop down the street for me at 39 dollars, or if I had to purchase quality memory for 139 dollars and spend 20 bucks to ship it to me...it's still a no brainer for me.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I was joking with you bud I always do that.

Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy
    Hehe 2 opposite answers. StonerCat seems to have a lot of experience so I trust him. I've also noticed from personal experience that Maxtor drives are crap. Maxtor drives are cheaper than other brands, so is Kingston. You get what you pay for is the lesson I guess.

I'd be interested to know more about the CAS latency and it's effect on performance. I would have thought that only skipping 2 cycles instead of 3 would be huge for performance. Wouldn't it make the memory react 33% faster if it was CAS 2? If you were maxing out bandwidth I don't think it would matter though.
    I believe Cat myself, he has more experience than I. I was always under the impression that Kingston RAM was a notch above the generic stuff, never had a problem with it. Hell, I used to sell it, along side the generic stuff, and never had any come back. Not one.

About the latency, look at it this way: 33% of x-number of nanoseconds in question is still undetectable to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Crucial is still the best for non-overclocked comps, with this I do agree.

Crucial is still the best for non-overclocked comps, with this I do agree.
    Quite honestly I never had a problem overclocking with Crucial either. I have one rig with a P4 2.6 running at 3.38. That's not too shabby. Another rig, 3.0 running at 3.4...but I've found this particular 3.0 processor doesn't take to OC'ing much, because I slapped my 2.6 into this rig and got it to 3.38 no problems. All my rigs going back in time even to the classic Pentium days...always OC'd them quite high.

I agree I guess I'll say Kingston is a notch above generic. I've just seen too many times when we determined the RAM was bad, and it's been Kingston RAM. I've never been burned by Crucial, and it's as problem free as I've ever seen.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quite honestly I never had a problem overclocking with Crucial either. I have one rig with a P4 2.6 running at 3.38. That's not too shabby. Another rig, 3.0 running at 3.4...but I've found this particular 3.0 processor doesn't take to OC'ing much, because I slapped my 2.6 into this rig and got it to 3.38 no problems. All my rigs going back in time even to the classic Pentium days...always OC'd them quite high.

Ya i've seen a bunch of people oc with crucial ram, but its a risk cuz its not garanteed, i'd rather spend the extra cash on the ballistix line and know for sure its gonna fly up there.

I agree I guess I'll say Kingston is a notch above generic. I've just seen too many times when we determined the RAM was bad, and it's been Kingston RAM. I've never been burned by Crucial, and it's as problem free as I've ever seen.
    My main PC is using plain Jane PC3200 Crucial RAM, and it's 2.4 -> 3.0GHz. I would expect to get 3.2 out of some good Corsair, OCZ, etc.