Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pope given last rites

Pope given last rites

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...pe1/index.html

Thursday night, as his health deteriorated, the pontiff was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church, a Vatican source told CNN.

He's suffered heart failure, the reports say. He has died. They're just gathering their facts and thoughts before announcing it officially.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

I wonder if he's named a successor? Or how does it work in the Catholic church? I can't imagine how it's gonna be when he does pass, if he hasn't already. People already worship the guy as if he were God, imagine when he's gone.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

disabled account
    The college of cardinals meet to select a new pope.

John Paul II is a good man. It will be sad to see him pass.
    Last edited by nepenthe; 04-01-05 at 01:24 AM.
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Even when he was sick these past weeks, seemed like he was trying, with all of his strength, just to be with the people.

God bless him.

Smithfield, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    Requiscat in Pace John Paul.

". . . Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies . . . ."
    Main Computer:
    GA97X G3
    i7 4790K
    GTX960
    32gb Ram
    1TB Samsung 860 SSD
    NZXT Case

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,152009,00.html

That man is stubbornly holding on to every last vestige of power he can. He needs to step down and name his successor already. However they go about it, he should recognize his usefulness is about done.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,152009,00.html

That man is stubbornly holding on to every last vestige of power he can. He needs to step down and name his successor already. However they go about it, he should recognize his usefulness is about done.
    I don't think its that easy. The new Pope has to be voted in. Its a real wierd way they do it. They have a Chimmney that you watch for the smoke to come out of on the vatican and thats when they have signalled the new popes been chosen. He can't name his successor.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

SG Enthusiast
    The news services are carrying a report that the Pope is in a coma, although it has been denied by the Vatican.

Upon his death, the College of Cardinals meets to elect a new Pope by a series of ballots. Each set of ballots is burned, and an additive is added to the fire to color the smoke and signal whether the ballots resulted in an election of the new Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Patterson
    The news services are carrying a report that the Pope is in a coma, although it has been denied by the Vatican.

Upon his death, the College of Cardinals meets to elect a new Pope by a series of ballots. Each set of ballots is burned, and an additive is added to the fire to color the smoke and signal whether the ballots resulted in an election of the new Pope.
    Yeah the Vatican denied it and said he was just in morning mass and he was fine. The vatican is so secretive sometimes.

Pie
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    I wonder if he's named a successor? Or how does it work in the Catholic church? I can't imagine how it's gonna be when he does pass, if he hasn't already. People already worship the guy as if he were God, imagine when he's gone.
    It's not that people worship him, they hold him in hig regard and much respect. This is not an instantaneous respect either because unlike other gorvernments or governing bodies, the pope is in office from the time he is elected to his death. This gives him many many years to grow upon a people and have an effect. (if a us pres serverd 25 yrs, we too would have a similar respect for him, no matter who the pres was, though the pope's influence is of a more spiritual nature than a pres)
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Blog Entries
    His passing will be a tremendous loss to the Catholic Church, but also to people of all Faiths, as He is a very unifying force for all Religions.

He set many things straight that needed to be done. He admitted and apologized for prior mistakes made by the Catholic Church as well.

He is a good Man, a Champion of Children and the less fortunate and will be difficult to replace.

God Bless Him

--

regards

minir

Sad news.

Prey
    Also the very first Pope was St. Peter of the original 12 apostles , so this position holds a very high spot as being the successor to St. Peter. I guess its like saying he's an apostle of sorts as its been handed down through the centuries.

Pie

Blog Entries
    To Prey & Others who may be unfamiliar with the Election of a Pope upon the demise of the Sitting Pope.

--

Conclave-- from the Latin con (with) and clavis (key)-- refers to the private meeting of the College of Cardinals in which a new Pope is elected.

During a conclave, the voting cardinals are literally locked into their meeting, and communication with the outside world is closed. By tradition, the cardinals signal the results of each vote by burning treated paper to produce black smoke when they have been unsuccessful in selecting a new Pontiff, white smoke when the new Pope is chosen.

The current regulations for a papal conclave restrict the voting to members of the College of Cardinals who have not yet reached their 80th birthday.

The tradition of closing the doors on a conclave was introduced in 1274 by Pope Gregory X, as a means of guarding against outside political interference and also as an inducement for the cardinals to make their selection promptly. (Pope Gregory X himself was elected after a period in which the Church went three years without a Pope, prompting cries for reform and acceleration of the selection process.)

--

regards

minir

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    It's not that people worship him, they hold him in hig regard and much respect. This is not an instantaneous respect either because unlike other gorvernments or governing bodies, the pope is in office from the time he is elected to his death. This gives him many many years to grow upon a people and have an effect. (if a us pres serverd 25 yrs, we too would have a similar respect for him, no matter who the pres was, though the pope's influence is of a more spiritual nature than a pres)
    http://www.geocities.com/cfpchurch/pope.html

Blog Entries
    Well Brent i see nothing has changed.

You should be ashamed of yourself for putting such Tripe in a post about a failing Pope who lay near death. What crap!

Anything to stir up Religious Bigotry Eh! Brent.

How sad you Claim to be a Christian, yet at every opportunity Slam and try to Disparage any Religion not your own.

You Disgust Me!

--
    minir

I didn't say I don't feel for this dying man. It is always sad when a good man dies that has done a lot of good in this world and touched many hearts.

disabled account
    minir,

Brent did not write the site himself, he was quoting a geocities page. I concur that it does paint a tilted view. The RC Church has changed in its perspectives over the many years. Like any empowered organization, its hierarchy has had its moments of trechery. Understand that at the time of many of those quotes, the RC church and its leaders wielded more power than most nations and their royalty.

Pope John Paul II has been a remarkable leader. Certainly there are some issues one might question, but if any one person can exemplify the good of being Catholic, it is him.

david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.