Thread: Remote Access Help

Remote Access Help

Is there a way so the host computer does not get logged off when a client comp connects via remote access (VPN)?

Also is there a way to just copy and paste files from the server to the client comp?

** The maine reason i am doing this is to set up a network for my moms business. She has two sets of patient records and two offices, and i figure i could connect them via VPN and have them access the other computer when needed. I just need to be able to copy and past from one comp to another... thanks and be able for the server and client to use the comp at the same time.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Several ways of doing this....depending on what exactly your needs are.

Two offices, how do you have a VPN setup between them? Router to router tunnel?

How many computers at the remote site need to access these files?

How many computers at the main site?

And...what kind of files are these? Simply documents such as Office files? Or files from some special software package?

I'd be leaning towards a dedicated computer at the main office to run as a host for Remote Desktop Connection.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Heh this would be through a 56k connection or DSL if it works well, no router for now, but maybe later. there are going to be 2 comps per connections, but we only need access to one comp...

These are data file for a Specific program, generally small.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    So no broadband at the moment? Currently just 56k dial up access? Or 56k fractional T?

What I would do....since I see "patient records"...I'm thinking medical? Now we have HIPAA coming into the picture, and all sorts of "keep the information secure" rules.

I'd do a couple of things. This software package she runs...talk to them, "Hey, any multi-site setups or ways the program can import/export information between sites?"

If setting up 2x sites to communicate with each other...you have HIPAA making sure you have security...I'd be looking at robust firewalls, and secure site to site VPN tunnels using router to router VPN. Look at broadband routers capable of doing "router to router" VPN tunnels. Linksys RV0 series, Sonicwall, etc. On a super budget, Linksys BEFSX41.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    What I would do....since I see "patient records"...I'm thinking medical? Now we have HIPAA coming into the picture, and all sorts of "keep the information secure" rules.
    I see this as the most important thing.

The penalties are severe for HIPAA violations. Oh man, if your network was ever compromised and you had patient records get out...<shudder>

My network has NO outside connections, not even dial-in.