Thread: Lufthansa plans wireless Internet perk to Germany

Lufthansa plans wireless Internet perk to Germany

This would be cool if it's successful for Lufthansa.

Posted 3/25/2005 12:13 PM Updated 3/25/2005 12:50 PM

Lufthansa plans wireless Internet perk to Germany
    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) The newest battle for customers in the airline industry will reach Portland on Saturday, when Lufthansa begins offering in-flight wireless Internet service on its nonstop flights from Portland to Frankfurt, Germany.
    Even though carriers have been cutting back on everything from in-flight food to downtown ticket offices, on long international flights the carriers are trying to woo travelers with more and more perks.

Among business travelers, "high-speed Internet access is one of the most sought-after amenities," said Terrance Scott, spokesman for Connexion by Boeing, which manufactures the hardware for the aircraft.

Lufthansa's Portland rollout is due to coincide with the arrival of new business class seats in the Airbus 340-300, which serves Oregon's only nonstop European flight.
    source

eventually we may see more of this.

edited to get rid of the crap..

it works.

my company did a test with Intel, using the wi-fi connection on a flight from Frankfurt to Portland to make a video connection using our software.
    Was pretty cool, The guy Tim Zweig (I think) addressed a conference of about 2,000 people via an IP video call from his seat on the plane with his laptop and a webcam and our software.

pretty exciting stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    it works.

my company did a test with Intel, using the wi-fi connection on a flight from Hamburg to Atlanta to make a video connection using our software.
    Was pretty cool, The guy Tim Zweig (I think) addressed a conference of about 2,000 people via an IP video call from his seat on the plane with his laptop and a webcam and our software.

pretty exciting stuff!
    HOW does it work?

via Satellite communication>?

I believe it is satellite based, but I'm not too sure. My boss explained it to me but I can't remember.

Typically the issue with Satellite based internet connectivity is high-latence due to distances being traveled, however the Connexion system is fairly low-latence (something like .5 seconds round trip)

Even if I had a 28.8kbps wireless connection I could use all flight I would be very happy. Plane trips get insanely boring after the 3-4hr point and gradually keep increasing in insanity. I thought I was gonna die in the 8 hours it took to get to England, I cant even begin to imagine the 12hr+ flights some people take, thank GOD for prescription sleeping pills I must say!

yeah try flying to New Zealand or Asia, 13-20 hours!

thank god for Vallium!