Thread: Newbie Modem Help Please

Newbie Modem Help Please

Hi,

Please pardon me asking these questions, but i am at my wits end over this problem, and i need an answer. As i have an engineer calling on me on Tuesday, to see if they can resolve this problem. It stems from me trying to connect my Motorola SB5100i Cable Modem to my Broadband provider by using the Ethernet connection on it.

I have had the modem and cables installed by the company, and i have had no end of problems with it. And this is all before i have even tried to setup the network that i want. I have connected the Ethernet cable to the modem and my computer during the installation of the software, but no matter what i removed security wise i cannot stop my computer from freezing up. I even got to the stage of removing everything apart from the anti-virus and firewall software. (And i did try at one point of connecting with even these both disabled) But, i could not even get it to work with these removed. I have even tried two different network devices in my computer, updated drivers and even tried two different cables. At the last count i had done 23 reboots, 4 complete shutdowns and 17 attempts at the installation process.
    And all of this in the first 9 hours of having the service installed in my house.

But, no matter what i try on the installation of the Broadband software, it will just freeze up my computer, and i have to go back to the start again. Each time i try it, it seems to get further into the setup, but again it freezes up the computer. But I can get online with a USB cable, but it defeats the object of the network that i wanted to setup. I have been onto the Tech Help 4 times, and all they seem to do is blame my computer for the problem.

In the end i tried to install the software on my son's computer, but when it got the stage of connecting the cable from the modem to the computer. It just locked up the computer. This is with the Ethernet cable connected to the modem, and a different cable used for the connection.

Does this prove that the modem is at fault on the Ethernet connection?

As i have an Engineer coming to try to sort out this problem next week, and i want to be able to prove that the modem is at fault, not my two different cables, and two different computers.

Also, the first network device on my computer is onboard, and i updated the driver, but i still have the same problem. The other device is a seperate network card, drivers picked up by Windows XP. The first network device will find the ISP address for my Broadband company (82.**.**.**), and try to work on the Ethernet cable. But, the second card will not even get the correct ISP address (169.**.**.**), to try to make the connection.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Fitter; 03-25-05 at 09:27 PM.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    169.**.**.**), this address is usually given to network card adress when there is an error is there any yellow excalmastion in the control panel device manager also in the device manager make sure you have view all hidden devices

What broad band software is it you are trying to install??
    Comptia a+ n+

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Network Cards:

Regarding the 169.**.**.** address, this came about after i installed a spare network card i had, and the drivers were picked up and installed by XP itself. (I did not notice any yellow exclaimation marks in Device Manager for any of them, all i had was the onboard card disabled)
    I had to install this card, because the Tech Help were convinced that the onboard Ethernet network card in my computer was broken.
    And because i could not connect to the internet properly with it (even though it got the correct address 82.**.**.** (onboard card)) during the install of the software from my Broadband company. And also because of all the computer lockups all over the place.

Software Install:

I was told that all i have to do is, just connect the Ethernet cable to the modem. Put in the CD and follow the instructions on screen to set up the Broadband connection. By using the company supplied CD, which contained all of the relevant software i would need. And i would be online via Ethernet in about 20 minutes at most.

My son's computer:

I was advised by someone to do a test to see if i could install the company software on my son's computer. This i did by using a straight through cable that i had installed for the network, that i want to use to share the Broadband connection via a Router. And it was then that it was pointed out to me that as i was using a different cable and different computer.
    It had to be the modem itself and the Ethernet port that was not working.

But the problem is now, that i am so confused over exactly what does what, what works and what does not.

Tests carried out so far:

Cable modem to my computer via company Ethernet cable = Lockups
    Cable modem to my computer via my Ethernet cable = Lockups
    All security stripped out of my computer + modem + company Ethernet cable = Lockups
    All security stripped out of my computer + modem + my Ethernet cable = Lockups
    Cable modem to my son's computer via my Ethernet cable = Lockups (First install of software, and connecting the modem lead when told to do so)

The only way that i can use the Broadband connection at the moment, is via the USB cable on my computer.
    And all software and security re-installed and working.

I hope that i have explained myself properly, as even i am starting to get confused over this.

And please bear with me as this is all new to me...
    Last edited by Fitter; 03-25-05 at 09:30 PM.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    as far as cable you shouldn't need any software to install windows should already have the connection installed what windows version are you running???
    Comptia a+ n+

Hi,

My computer is running Windows XP Pro, and my son's is XP Home.
    Regarding getting the Broadband connection working, at the time of the installation of the cables.
    The engineer who did it said to me said "We only install the setup to the modem and test that, the actual connecting of the Ethernet cable to my computer. And the install of the software to run the Broadband service is up to you"

So as a person that has no idea about how Broadband works...
    I followed the instructions, and connected the cable up to the modem only.
    Inserted the CD, and then followed the steps it said...
    And when it got to the point when i should link up to my computer.
    I did so to the onboard network card....

And the computer promptly froze up... (this also is what happened to my son's computer in the exact same way)
    After 45 mins i did a reboot, after disconnecting the cable.
    And then this went on as above for each seperate stage in various ways.
    And even with the Tech's help as well.
    That is when they decided my computer was broken.

Hi,

I seem to have had a bit of luck somehow...
    As i have the broadband up and working on my son's machine, and i think it was down to deleting everything to do with AOL.
    I did this via the 'Add/Remove', and then going into each of the adapters for the network.
    And then un-selecting 'Assign Address Automatically', and then re-selecting it again.
    Rebooting, connecting the long straight through Ethernet cable and switching off/on again the modem.
    Then somehow it all started working on his computer..

But, when i then went to my computer and installed a Norton Ghost backup on the XP partition, over the top of my current setup.
    (In case i had deleted or damaged any software with what i have done so far)
    Then deleted all the AOL programs, as i did with my son's computer.
    And tried the same things again...
    All i got was a computer lockup again when i used the Ethernet cable.

So it looks like i will have to wait for the engineer to call.