Thread: comcast cable need help!! horrid download

comcast cable need help!! horrid download

hello i am new here. i need you guys to help me out as much as you can. thanks in advance for any help you can be of. i have comcast now at 4down as they just upped us from 3 to 4. anyway all of the tests i runshow horrible speeds!! most are around 2.2 - 2.4 at the very best!!! some come in 1.4-1.8 my uploads seems to be right in line usually at 400 or better. what can i do??
    i have a sb5100 (should i change it out for a different brand?) and according to the modem my sig/noise is 33db , my power level is -10 my frequency is locked at 55000000hz. i ran the tweek test on dslreports.com and it said everything was ok?? i called comcast they say everything is a -ok on thier end. they sent a tech out to check the line and that is "ok" they said im actually very good as far as signal goes. i only have internet no tv service so it is a dedicated line directly to the modem. clean windows install just did a reformat and have outpost and nod32 running . if there is any other info please let me know what i can do. i really appreciate any help thanks

i ran the dsl reports tweek test and these are my results:
    http://ttester.broadbandreports.com/...nXP&via=normal it says everything is ok but all my tests are so slow ?? anything from anyone

im a cabel tech and i can tell u your signal levals are a little bad 33 is high for snr 35 is where the modem will start to drop off and -10 downstream is also a little bit low sounds like u either have too many splitters or u have some bad fittings somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by syknesss
    im a cabel tech and i can tell u your signal levals are a little bad 33 is high for snr 35 is where the modem will start to drop off and -10 downstream is also a little bit low sounds like u either have too many splitters or u have some bad fittings somewhere
    Hey syknesss, I think you are mistaken a bit on the signal to noise ratio.

Higher signal to noise ratio is better, average is 32-36.

Your downchannel power is a hair low but still within standard operating specifications.

You would need to run a packet loss test.

The problem with slow downloads is 95% of the time in the computers registry.

Pick the generic registry patch that matches your OS, follow the directions on the downloads page and then reboot.

My guess is that you will notice a large increase.

Also, try to locate a server through dslreports.com on their speed test sites that is geographically close to you to test your speeds.

If it is actually a dedicated singular line for the modem then there may also be some sort of line problem that is causing intermittent connections however usually this is an on or off kind of thing, not a how fast can you download kind of thing.

JD
    NCTI - Certified
    SCTE--Member
    Specialized cable fixxer upper