Thread: Wireless Laptop drops conn when transferring large files

Wireless Laptop drops conn when transferring large files

Hi All,

I just purchased a Sony Vaio k35 laptop with a LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g wireless card(can't find or know where to find updated drivers for this if there are any). I also purchased a Linksys WRT54G and installed the latest firmware. Winxp Home edtion w/ service pack 2 is installd on the machine.
    I have DHCP turned off of the router with all IP addresses to my laptop and two desktops hardcoded. I am using 128bit encryption.

Ok now that I got that out of the way onto my problem! My wireless network works fine....I never get disconnects from my laptop. However whenever I try to transfer large files from my workstation to my wireless laptop, the transfer never completes. It ususally stops transferring around 709MB .(on channel 6) I switched the router to channel 11 and the transfer stopped even sooner at 78MB. I tried turning off Wireless zero config (the XP service) and still the file transfer stops at 709MB.

I have really been racking my brain over this trying to figure out what is going on. The wireless connection is SOLID as long as I don't transfer large files over the LAN(I can walk from the basement to the attic and maintain an excellent signal). Even when the transfer stops my wireless card is still connected to the linksys!! Does anyone have any idea of what else I can try to do to correct this problem?

Thanks in Advance
    Mike

frustration

I own a Medion MD41300 laptop and my problem is identical. I've been searching for solutions for over a year now (firmware, drivers, nodetype.....) and I've been in communication with the tech-support of US-robotics (I use a wireless router USR805054) for several months now. And still it does that same thing... But we are not alone... and I'm beginning to believe it's WinXP related.

Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...nnection+drops