Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable internet and Cable TV question

Cable internet and Cable TV question

Question is it illegal to use like a diplexer or a splitter to receive local channels from you high speed cable internet?

And when you purchase high speed internet and digital cable does in come into the house as 2 lines or just one? Thanks

Technically, it is illegal, since you're not paying for the cable channels, but if the Cable Co forgot to put the filter, then oh well, milk it till they figure it out!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    Technically, it is illegal, since you're not paying for the cable channels, but if the Cable Co forgot to put the filter, then oh well, milk it till they figure it out!

I mean I am not putting like a box on it to get the digital or higher channels, just get like 10 local channels all analog, basically local news I can't receive on sat. oh yea and the program guide...lol

It's pretty much the same channels you would get with an external antenna without a big ass antenna on your house

If your paying for internet only then its illegal yes, but you should be trapped so the tv signal isnt accessible from your line. If you pay for cable tv, its perfectly fine to do it although it degrades your signal to the modem and if your signals already near the threshold, it can cause problems. Digital cable is no different than regular analog cable as far as the setup, its just a different settop box and does need return RF to work properly.

how about if you want TV channels you pay for them

and if you want internet you pay for it

Quote Originally Posted by Brent

Well, if it's just the local channels, then it really shouldn't be that big a deal.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Thanks Brent but your response provided absolutely no value to this thread, I am well aware of my options.

Well, if it's just the local channels, then it really shouldn't be that big a deal.
    In court it is....its just as illegal. Its not a good idea to steal cable because the cable company can actually confiscate any equipment connected to the cable if its known that your stealing it (ive witnessed this before, its not a myth).

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron203
    Thanks Brent but your response provided absolutely no value to this thread, I am well aware of my options.
    Cameron, meet Brent, postwhor3 extraordinaire!

Thanks for the help Prey, and wee. Just trying to decide what all I want to do. Trying to make my network box look neat, I am running everything through there. So if I order digital cable at my new house will I have 1 cable come in for internet and one for digital tv? Thinking about also giving this VoIP a try 39.95 a month for unlimited calling in and out of state. Sounds like a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    In court it is....its just as illegal. Its not a good idea to steal cable because the cable company can actually confiscate any equipment connected to the cable if its known that your stealing it (ive witnessed this before, its not a myth).
    I see, I figured that since the local channels are free, just from using any regular old antenna, it wouldn't matter if you just got the locals from the cable co.

Youll have one drop to the house, a splitter which will run an outlet to the modem, outlet to the digital cable/other cable outlets, and another to the voip box.

I see, I figured that since the local channels are free, just from using any regular old antenna, it wouldn't matter if you just got the locals from the cable co.
    Yea laws are llamaish but just lookin out for fellow SGers

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    Yea laws are llamaish but just lookin out for fellow SGers

wee is there a chance that there is a filter on my line and the local channels they are allowing me to receive, are just that, local broadcast channels that are free?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron203
    it's the right thing to do instead of stealing which is illegal

this is kinda like asking for warez

But why even post? Why crap on my thread? I wasn't asking how I was asking what the legalities were. And I don't need a lessen in ethics from you, trust me, I have read many of your posts

To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

SG Enthusiast
    Well, if you didn't enjoy hearing it from Brent, you won't like my post much better.

Cable companies do audit their systems, are required to do so by law. In many jurisdictions, cable theft is a felony. This is not something like a parking ticket.

Please pay. Cheaper in the long run.

There is a possibility depending on your area that your receiving some free signal (this is usually called bulk, in some condo's or trailer parks) but it would be best to ask if the signals are supposed to be coming through (thats the legal way, even if the signals coming through and you know of it and allow it, thats illegal in court, its called passive theft). Best thing for you legally to do is get the signal trapped if you arent allowed to have it, or order the few extra channels (I know here in our system you get channels 2-23 for $12 a month, its called limited basic).

or downloading music

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.