Thread: Memory Faults ***need help or suggestions

Memory Faults ***need help or suggestions

Ok I built one of my friends a computer about a year and a half ago, well he recently moved and (*not saying this has anything to do with it*) he started getting memory fault errors, well by the time he got it to me the ram was cash wouldn't boot the machine. I tried it in 2 of my computers and no dice, it would boot in one but then memory fault and restart. ANyways I let him use some of my ram until his came in the mail, well tonight I went to his house to swap mine out and put his new ram in and the computer is in sleep mode so I wake it up and the first thing I see is a memory fault. At this point I am thinking it is the power supply I check all the rails and the voltage to the DDR ram and it is all good the voltage to the ram is at default which I believe is like 2.65 or something anyways the only thing that was lower than spec was the reserve voltage it was at like 4.95 and should be at or close to 5V but still its ok.

So anyways its obviously the ram that caused the comp to get memory errors but what could be causing the ram to keep going bad. I asked him if condensation gets in the room and he said no. If its not the power supply what else could it be. BTW its hooked up to a surge protector and I checked for spikes in electric.

Thanks.

*btw haven't checked the ram I let him use to see if it's cashed yet. Hopefully it will be ok, he said he hasn't seen that message yet. So must have been the first time.

The ghost in the machine striker8000's Avatar
    Is he running a UPS or line conditioner?
    still folding away, haven't been on as much lately

Quote Originally Posted by striker8000
    Is he running a UPS or line conditioner?

no

(Hint)

Broke
    "Build computer" and "Friend", do not belong in same paragraph from my experience...IMO

run memtest86 on that stuff overnight and see what kinda errors it gives ya, there should be none.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    "Build computer" and "Friend", do not belong in same paragraph from my experience...IMO

Yea I agree but no problems for almost 2 years hardly could blame me. Doesn't make sense, I replaced his ram that was going bad with my ram which I knew was good and it started getting same memory errors. I thought maybe it was the power supply whether under volting or over volting the ram but the rails seem fine Can't think of any other reason why 2 sticks of ram would be posting errors. BTW mobo is out of the question, swapped with another and still same problem.