Thread: DSL- lagging on xbox live

Unhappy DSL- lagging on xbox live

(Although this is related to a gaming system, I don't think posting it in a gaming section would help, since this problem is directed towards DSL.)

As you can guess from the topic, I lag on xbox live. A lot. It wasn't ever as bad as it is now, and it's becomming harder and harder to play each day. The xbox is connected to the back of my Linksys router, which is connected to the back of my Westell wirespeed modem, which is connected through DSL. Now if I'm correct, the xbox's connection has nothing to do with my computer. So if changing things on my computer is useless, then how can I change the connection on xbox? I've tried restarted the modem and router, but this horrible lag returns shortly after.

I don't really feel like calling the people at DSL because I wouldn't know how to explain them my problem, and I don't think they could help me because they arent familiar with the xbox.

Yeah. I have the same problem too. It's so damn frustrating and I don't feel like calling those bellsouth fastaccess DSL bastards.

By the way, I have a Westell Wirespeed Modem.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    it sounds like you need forward some ports or put the modem in bridge mode which is no routing functions
    Comptia a+ n+

Quote Originally Posted by mccoffee
    it sounds like you need forward some ports or put the modem in bridge mode which is no routing functions
    And what about me? I use direct connection.

Quote Originally Posted by bean_dip
    And what about me? I use direct connection.

have u run and ping tests to servers?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You don't need any ports forwarded or opened to play XBox on the internet as a client.

Is your Westel unit running in router mode, or pure bridge? You can tell by knowing if your Linksys is what logs onto the PPPoE, also just by checking the WAN IP of your Linksys router. If the Linksys WAN IP is something in the 192.168.XXX.XXX range, then your Westel is also running NAT, which you don't want, in that case you don't even need the Linksys. Is your Linksys picks up a WAN IP beginning with (usually with SBC) 6X.XXX.XXX.XXX, (if you want to post back your WAN IP in a reply, don't post the last octet), then you're OK.

Are you serving host games?

Anyone else using the computer when you're trying to use XBox? Does the computer have some sort of P2P file sharing software running all the time?

XBox as a client doesn't take up too much bandwidth, last night I was playing Battlefield Vietnam on my computer which requires a lot of bandwidth, kid was upstairs playing his XBox online, he wasn't impacting my usual performance much at all, perhaps adding only about 15ms to my usual ping to this server.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    You don't need any ports forwarded or opened to play XBox on the internet as a client.

Is your Westel unit running in router mode, or pure bridge? You can tell by knowing if your Linksys is what logs onto the PPPoE, also just by checking the WAN IP of your Linksys router. If the Linksys WAN IP is something in the 192.168.XXX.XXX range, then your Westel is also running NAT, which you don't want, in that case you don't even need the Linksys. Is your Linksys picks up a WAN IP beginning with (usually with SBC) 6X.XXX.XXX.XXX, (if you want to post back your WAN IP in a reply, don't post the last octet), then you're OK.

Are you serving host games?

Anyone else using the computer when you're trying to use XBox? Does the computer have some sort of P2P file sharing software running all the time?

XBox as a client doesn't take up too much bandwidth, last night I was playing Battlefield Vietnam on my computer which requires a lot of bandwidth, kid was upstairs playing his XBox online, he wasn't impacting my usual performance much at all, perhaps adding only about 15ms to my usual ping to this server.

Thanks for pointing out the port maps i assumend you did since you are going though router plus i don't own an xbox thanks yeold
    Comptia a+ n+

Also, consider doing a search for a different ISP in your area.

http://www.dslreports.com

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    have u run and ping tests to servers?
    What ping tests? How do I run those ping tests?

Quote Originally Posted by bean_dip
    What ping tests? How do I run those ping tests?

If u've got winXP Goto "Start" then select "Run" and type "cmd" hit [Enter]

then type "ping x.x.x.x" [Enter] Replace the Xs with the ip number of the server you want to play on, or even just type "ping www.speedguide.net" [Enter]

Is it just ur xbox or does ur PC lag in gaming too?

I realize the problem (for me anyway) and it's very obvious. I have to upgrade my DSL service which sucks considering that my parents can't afford to pay anymore money for internet access.