Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Small Business Server 2003 users who do NOT want to be a Domain Controller.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

For Small Business Server 2003 users who do NOT want to be a Domain Controller.

The service "SBCore" is responsible for (after 1 week) rebooting your computer every hour until you become a domain controller. To avoid this, you need to create a file that will taskkill sbscrexe.exe until it no longer automatically restarts.

Here is a C++ example.

Code:
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
        while(1)
        {
            system("taskkill /F /MI sbscrexe.exe");
        }

return(0);
    }
    Hope this helps other people who had my problem.

That's just weird.

I been managing SBS never seen that prob wait for Sid or Cat they might have a clue

Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    The service "SBCore" is responsible for (after 1 week) rebooting your computer every hour until you become a domain controller. To avoid this, you need to create a file that will taskkill sbscrexe.exe until it no longer automatically restarts.

Here is a C++ example.

Code:
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
        while(1)
        {
        }

return(0);
    }

I can't think of any reason not to promote a sbs server to a DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    I can't think of any reason not to promote a sbs server to a DC.
    Bloat, mainly. No reason to become a DC with no domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    Bloat, mainly. No reason to become a DC with no domain.
    That kills a lot of the functionality imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    That kills a lot of the functionality imho.
    I'm in this for IIS 6, mainly, and to learn more about that side of things. I don't have nor want a domain at this point.

Yeah, it kills the functionality, but then again, I wouldn't use it anyway.

Registered to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! What kind of idiots would sell a product raising the minimum software requirements, so the end user can't do what they want, then not tell them about it? (well, we know who...)

I would assume this works, and I will try it out tomorrow. My setup includes 2 Windows 2003 SBS servers, one running the domain [controller] and the other running a website and NAT router. I don't want any domain stuff running on the NAt router machine, as it is visible on the internet as our DNS server.

Thanks again, you totally rock

I would like to say thank you as well.

My only problem now is that I can't add licenses... When I click on licensing in the management console, it gives me "to add more licenses, use the add license wizard in windows server 2003 for small business server". How are you guys adding licenses? I'm finding that only some users are able to access a share on the SBS, after that it is locking people out because of insuffient licensing so I guess I need to add my CALs somehow.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Do everything with the Small Business Management Console...resist the urge to do things manually like you're on regular server...with Small Biz...you should do everything through the Small Business Server Management Console.

Click on your start button...look right up near the top...you'll see "Server Management" with a gray computer tower next to it.

Once you open that...take a good look at it...get familiar with it. This should be your starting page to do most everything you need to do, for each time you walk up to your server or remote in.

At the main home page..you'll see "Licensing".
    Click on it..you'll see various things including "Add Licenses" which walks you through a step by step..you'll get to the point where you enter the new 5CAL pack key you purchased.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Another user registering solely to say thanks for the tip to Blarghie.

Also just registered to say thanks!

thanks for these instructions. i am in a little bit of a bind now. i executed the instructions over an RDP thru windows standard VPN session. disabling sbcore worked fine. demoting the DC worked fine. i restarted the machine now I can't login (RDP thru VPN). will i have any problem if i drive over to the server tomorrow and try to login? any suggestions to try to login remotely?

thanks in advance

question

does it eventually stop loading??? I did the taskkill from a command prompt about 10 times and i rebooted...now i don't see it...will it eventually restart itself???

What Blarghie has written basically works great and thank you for that hint. The only problem is that the SBS service will reset the registry permissions just in the moment you set them.

In order to avoid that you need to go first to c:\windows\system32 and DENY access to Everyone and System, allowing only Administrators FULL ACCESS. You can than delete the task from the task list and change the registry permissions.

Thumbs up Thanks

Blarghie's solution worked for me - thanks very much. And thank-you to Paft for starting off this thread in the first place.

This works for me, however if I try add the sbs machine as a client on a Win2k domain it seems to get stuck on Applying Computer Settings when booting up. However if I load up in Safe Mode with Networking I am able to log on as a client to my Win2k domain anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it to get stuck when running normally?

Yet another user who has registered specifically for this thread.

I am going to be using SBS 2003 R2 Premium SP2. Anyone know if this still works with R2 SP2 or did Micro$oft "fix" this workaround?

Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post

Here is a C++ example.

Code:
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
        while(1)
        {
        }

return(0);
    }
    Hi, your suggestion seems good for me, but I don;t know how to do it ? Can you show me in detail ? Many thanks.

Still no go...

Hi guys... First of all thanks to all that are helping sort out this problem. I have a client that is experiencing exactly what you all describe at about 16 mins passed the hour, every hour. I did complete the full SBS install and setup the domain etc, but all the workstations at the moment are XP Home. I'm assuming this is why the server is behaving the way it is.

Anyway... I have followed the instructions from Blarghie and the SB Core service is reporting as Disabled. The file is no longer running in Tasks and the Registry setting is still 4. Yet the server is still rebooting. I performed the required steps over an RDP... Not sure if that makes a difference...

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance