Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need input for direction of the SG Game server

Need input for direction of the SG Game server

Ok, so some of you are getting burned out on DC. No problem.

What do you want to play?

there is only one condition...we will NOT remove DC....we will simply add a new game.

Now for our choices...you can either start playing EOD for BFV or we can remove that and put on any other game that has a majority consensus.

some games to think about:

POE....latest release is not all that bad.

Operation Peacekeeper....great game, but very few players

BFV....still fun but numbers are dwindling

BF1942....still has the most players worldwide playing it...

Interstate 82...don't know too much about this mod but most folks report it's a hoot....

HL2 multiplayer server with a mod or just plain HL2

Doom 3 multiplayer....don't know of any mods

UT2004 and/or a mod like Red Orchestra....

Star Wars Battlefront....much improved with the latest patch but still....it's SWB....

Galactic Conquest...Star Wars mod for BF1942....pretty good mod but the graphics in SWB make it look bad.

America's Army.....I know NOTHING about this game but it has alot of players and is very competitive. You'll have to complete training before you can go online and play though so that is a bit of a drawback. It's 100% FREE so that is it's big selling point.

ETF (Enemy Territory Fortress) this is a new mod for Enemy Territory....it's free as well...so you'll need ET and then ETF. If you've ever played Quake3 fortress....thjis is it in it's free form....from what I hear, it's really solid and a great game...but of course, is more of a fragfest.

so that is pretty much it.

If you have any other suggestions...post em here.

BF2 is almost here but we need to keep interest in the server. If the demo of BF2 comes out soon and allows for private server setups....then we are going to install that puppy.

So let's hear it...the good, and the bad.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

I82 is horribly borign after 10 mins.

I could go for doom3, GC, OPk

SG Enthusiast
    OPK might be good, I've enjoyed it when I played it but with 150+ pings. I still enjoy POE at times, unbalanced or not.

I might even be coerced to try Doom3 or SWB again, but I don't know about those.

I'm almost tempted to dust off Counter-Strike, or hit someone up to get HL2 for me for my b-day so I can download CS:S. Team based, objective based, one life per round on most maps.

Regular '42 or that other WW2 Mod for '42. The one that was over 2 gigs sounds interesting. I played it a little bit when it was on the D server.
    Respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE
    Regular '42 or that other WW2 Mod for '42. The one that was over 2 gigs sounds interesting. I played it a little bit when it was on the D server.

It still is on the |D| server and isn't getting much action, plus when it does, I don't want to mess with that. If you wanna play Forgotten Hope, you are more than welcome to come on the |D| server. Plus FH v.67 will be out this Sunday. without bullshiiting ya....FH is a |D| thing and I don't want to mess with that. Everybody is trying to find a game to keep their server alive...|D| found FH. We need to do something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    OPK might be good, I've enjoyed it when I played it but with 150+ pings. I still enjoy POE at times, unbalanced or not.

I might even be coerced to try Doom3 or SWB again, but I don't know about those.

I'm almost tempted to dust off Counter-Strike, or hit someone up to get HL2 for me for my b-day so I can download CS:S. Team based, objective based, one life per round on most maps.

I'm just worried about trying to get in on an already established game. CC:S would be cool....but would it get populated? How many other servers are out there running CS:S?

this is why it is soooooooooo important for us to be one of the first servers out there running BF2....our server will kick ass as long as we can support the bandwidth. If we have high pings...we're dead ****ing meat man.

Broke
    UT2004 is my vote

Im not bothered but what's on. Whatever is the most popular response. But, I do love vanilla '42...and Yeah, Interstate 1982 is a hoot! It's a blast!!

Quake 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    Quake 1

that would rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    Quake 1

Q2>Quake 1

Americas Army looks to me to be a good game, graphics are nice, sounds are ultra realistic, and you have to earn your way up into a speciality if u want. and best of all, everybody can get it.
    You can run, but you'll just die tired.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...uck/BANNER.jpg

at this point in time HL2DM is a no-go. many servers running win2k server/AS are running into C++ runtime errors and crashing (source ds is crashing... not the physical server). i know, as i tried for most of a week to get it to run on the SG server. i have run across a few other admins at the Steam and srcds forums (including one sysadmin from gibgames) who are all running into the same identical issue. up until the 2/17 update this wasn;t a problem at all. win2003 server doesn't have the same degree of problems.

still waiting for some kind of response from Steam regarding this. it;s kind of hard over at the Steam forums, as there are also 456,122,098 other pipsqueak punks who are just complaining for the sake of complaining about the patch.

as far as i can tell, CS:S doesn;t have this problem.... it (may) have something to do with the physics engine coupling with the client side engine. like i said... no official response as of yet.

as far as direction for the SG server..... i don;t really have a preference.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Quote Originally Posted by Faust
    at this point in time HL2DM is a no-go. many servers running win2k server/AS are running into C++ runtime errors and crashing (source ds is crashing... not the physical server). i know, as i tried for most of a week to get it to run on the SG server. i have run across a few other admins at the Steam and srcds forums (including one sysadmin from gibgames) who are all running into the same identical issue. up until the 2/17 update this wasn;t a problem at all. win2003 server doesn't have the same degree of problems.

still waiting for some kind of response from Steam regarding this. it;s kind of hard over at the Steam forums, as there are also 456,122,098 other pipsqueak punks who are just complaining for the sake of complaining about the patch.

as far as i can tell, CS:S doesn;t have this problem.... it (may) have something to do with the physics engine coupling with the client side engine. like i said... no official response as of yet.

as far as direction for the SG server..... i don;t really have a preference.

What about Garry's Mod for HL2? Know anything about it? Know about any other HL2 mods worth looking into?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazycanuck
    Americas Army looks to me to be a good game, graphics are nice, sounds are ultra realistic, and you have to earn your way up into a speciality if u want. and best of all, everybody can get it.
    AA:SF Rocks

Honor 39
    Horizon Web Design

Are you Saved??? Click here to find out how you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by UOD
    What about Garry's Mod for HL2? Know anything about it? Know about any other HL2 mods worth looking into?

Garry's Mod is just a singleplayer mod that allows you to toy with environment, entites, physics and such. no actual gameplay. at least not on the first few versions, anyway.

i have seen a CTF that's still in alpha. don;t know how good or unpolished it is, as it;s only been released for a week or so, and i havent had a chance to try it out. since it looked to be a variant of HL2DM, i assumed it;s still using the same engine/physics.

i have always believed CS (CS:S in this case) to be the superior game when it comes to a team gameplay. it has had a lot of time to evolve and mature (with more of an emphasis on maturation) over the years. the only problem is, it;s so unbelievable successful that there are 40 billion people playing.... and with that many people playing, there will always be large constituancy of 'tardo's. i guess that can apply to any game, though. i always enjoyed playing with people i am familiar with more than a bunch of strangers.

if there is an interest, i could easily set up a CS:S server on the SG machine. as a matter of fact, it;s already there (just need to update it). the only downside is management/adminning (compared to BFCC or BBops). the best way IMO is to use a plain client-side app to interface with RCON, enabling you to see the players and switch maps. and with a small amount of RCON lingo knowledge, be able to kink and ban easily. admin mods are nifty (re: mani mod and bettlefarts), but they can occasionally create their own problems.

so at any rate, just say the word and i can set it up. i just didn;t think there was a huge interest in CS:S here (could be wrong, of course).
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

SG Enthusiast
    The new Republic Commando game has multiplayer.
    Looking for work............

Americas Army is alotta fun, but its alot more structured and strict about its rules. When you TK, you get in trouble for it (lose points) and its VERY easy to misjudge a uniform at a distance. It is a cool game though, just alot more work to play than say '42 or BFV. Some people might have marksmanship qual. trouble.

My vote goes to OPK, POE, or a cool DC mod. If it came down to it I dunno if Id rather have OPK or POE because there so similar, but I think I like POE better. It always seems like tanks are king in OPK

I dont have HL2, and until I get my warrantied 3.0 back there isnt a point in me getting it

Get some opinions and then start a poll
    Member - Redneck Yacht Club

Quote Originally Posted by AceFireball
    Americas Army is alotta fun, but its alot more structured and strict about its rules. When you TK, you get in trouble for it (lose points) and its VERY easy to misjudge a uniform at a distance. It is a cool game though, just alot more work to play than say '42 or BFV. Some people might have marksmanship qual. trouble.

My vote goes to OPK, POE, or a cool DC mod. If it came down to it I dunno if Id rather have OPK or POE because there so similar, but I think I like POE better. It always seems like tanks are king in OPK

I dont have HL2, and until I get my warrantied 3.0 back there isnt a point in me getting it

Get some opinions and then start a poll

I agree but the problem is BFV.....not too many SG peeps can run BFV, and since they can't/won't run BFV, they won't be able to run a mod for it. But what bothers me is that if they can't run BFV...how do they expect to run BF2 when that game is gonna be LEAPS and BOUNDS above BFV???????

As far as tanks go in OPK....C4. I use it all the time in POE because nobody else does...and it keeps my ass alive on the ground. Same thing for OPK. It's the air portion of POE that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust
    Garry's Mod is just a singleplayer mod that allows you to toy with environment, entites, physics and such. no actual gameplay. at least not on the first few versions, anyway.

i have seen a CTF that's still in alpha. don;t know how good or unpolished it is, as it;s only been released for a week or so, and i havent had a chance to try it out. since it looked to be a variant of HL2DM, i assumed it;s still using the same engine/physics.

i have always believed CS (CS:S in this case) to be the superior game when it comes to a team gameplay. it has had a lot of time to evolve and mature (with more of an emphasis on maturation) over the years. the only problem is, it;s so unbelievable successful that there are 40 billion people playing.... and with that many people playing, there will always be large constituancy of 'tardo's. i guess that can apply to any game, though. i always enjoyed playing with people i am familiar with more than a bunch of strangers.

if there is an interest, i could easily set up a CS:S server on the SG machine. as a matter of fact, it;s already there (just need to update it). the only downside is management/adminning (compared to BFCC or BBops). the best way IMO is to use a plain client-side app to interface with RCON, enabling you to see the players and switch maps. and with a small amount of RCON lingo knowledge, be able to kink and ban easily. admin mods are nifty (re: mani mod and bettlefarts), but they can occasionally create their own problems.

so at any rate, just say the word and i can set it up. i just didn;t think there was a huge interest in CS:S here (could be wrong, of course).

I don't know that the interest level would be here for CS:S either. I'll try it because I'll try any game once.