Thread: "?'s" on Cable Modems(Newbie on them)

ARS

Question "?'s" on Cable Modems(Newbie on them)

How do you check your cable speed/connection on @home cable services?
    And

[Delete_Old_Tweaks]
    HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,Size/Small/Medium/Large
    HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,MaxConnections
    HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,BcastNameQueryCount
    ETC...

Then it has some added tweak things. Ok, now where do I found those things to delete, and add? Thanks all

Best way is to download from consistant fast servers and see what your speed is

Usually if you downlaod from @home's servers that would be the best, so go to their page and see if there is anything you can download to see your speed....

Or just go to fast sites like download.com and download away

Also you could run some stuff like analog x or net.medic and stuff and see what your real time speeds are while you download and upload files

also you can run speed tests like found on dslreports.com and there are other ones linked on this site here: http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_mode...le_links.shtml

ARS

Alright, now how do I find my registry (isn't that what I am suppost to back up) and then add the tweak stuff it tells me too...(Where is the registry found in @home that I backup)

The registry is not part of @home it is part of your windows PC

Click on Start/Run and type "regedit" without the quotes, and click on OK

that opens up your registry....

Back it up from in there, hit Registry/Export Registry and export it somewhere....

that backs it up...

ARS

Ok I see what you are talking about now Brent, but how do I back it up? (I am not to smart on computers myself) and where do I find the stuff I delete and add the new reg. stuff? Thanks for the help so far

Snowman

Click on the registry drop down menu at the top. Select "EXPORT..." and save the file somewhere else. Be very careful when modifying stuff in the registry. I like to use the patches for registry tweaks. All you have to do is download them, extract them, and usually double-click. The automatically modify the registry for you. Still back it up though.

ARS

Ok now how do I back it up? I clicked registry and then Export... and then saved that to my file I have and then I tried to open it to see if it would open up registry, but it wouldn't open. It said something about exporting the file I saved the registry in into the registry. So how would I back up my registry if I don't like my settings so I can put the original one back...